cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The target centre is too far right of the camera focal point of canon 5D MARK .

Qgent
Contributor

The target centre is too far right of the camera focal point of canon EOS 5D MARK II.. I had the camera serviced by canon because of  image quality. they found that the focusing mirror was loose but now after I piurchased a calibration software (Focal) I see the issue. the target centre is ot inside the camera focal point. my camera is out of warranty  just want to know if this going to be expensive to repair or just an easy fix

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Hi, Qgent

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon camera you're using.  At this time, we have not made a camera that is named simply "5D Mark."  Are you using an EOS 5D Mark II or an EOS 5D Mark III? That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/Canon-Support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Is a Canon EOS 5D Mark II

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I"m not sure what you mean by "target center is too far right".  

Are you saying that if you focus on an AF point that the sharpest location in the image is to the right of that selected AF point?

If so... there are a few questions...

#1  Is the camera being tested while attached to a tripod or are you hand-holding the camera?

#2  Are you using a "flat" focusing target which is paralle to to the sensor (no possible that the target is angled relative to the image plane.)  When testing sensor alignment and focus accuracy, it is important to use a valid focus test target.  Sample photos of regular photographic subjects can't accurately show you what's really happening.  I use a commercial focus test target which allows me to to detect very tiny amounts of front focus or back focus error.

#3  If you are using a flat surface as a focus test target (e.g. even if you hang a sheet of newsprint on the wall) are you noticing that one side of the image is out of focus and the other side is more in focus (or at least closer to focus).  If so, and if it happens with more than one lens, then it may be that your sensor needs to be adjusted.

The sensor is supported by screws which can "shim" the sensor both left-to-right and top-to-bottom.  This is normally factory calibrated and never needs to be touched again.  But if you are seeing this, then it can actually be adjusted (it's not a user accessible adjustment and requires some significant disassembly of the camera to reach those adjustment screws.)

I should also mention that while lenses endeavor to provide a flat field a focus... they are spherical in nature and that means that focus in the center of the image has a different distance than the edges and corners of the image.  Most lenses do not provide a "perfectly flat" field.

#4  If the lens is simply front focusing or back focusing (point of best focus is slightly closer or slightly farther than the intended focus distance) that can be adjusting using the 5D II's built-in auto-focus micro-adjustment.  This is something you can do yourself and does not require service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for your questions and interest

# 1   Yes  the camera is mounted on a Enduro CT114 Tripod

#2 Yes the target area is a flat target provided by Focal to calibrate my camera to the lens

#3 The entire target is on focus

#4 This is beyond front or bad focusing

Let nme explain in more detail so as to make  a picture of what I'm experiencing with this camera

The focusing screen square the one you see thru the viewfinder has 9 focisung points  with in a square. when connected to my computer I see the active focus point out of the square even thou on my viewfinder that point is ritgh in the center.

I'm using the 200mm L ens  and I did calibrate the same lens on a Canon 7D Mark II so is not the lens

I know for a fact now that this camera is a lemon, is been at the factory to fix this problem and according to the tech the only problem was that the mirror was loose, fixed plus a bonus service, clean the sensor and in the process added from top to bottom on the left side a banded double  streak  (line of litgh)

Complained and was told I will receive an return label..I'm still waiting for that label.

A this point I don't care if Canon looks bad. because I paid good money for a camera that manages to give 3 to 5 great pictures out of a 100 and that is not user error

Ruben Marchena

This happens with all lenses?  It sounds more like a lens issue than a camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes All the lenes connected to this

camera

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This happens with all lenses?  It sounds more like a lens issue than a camera.

That sounds backwards to me, Ernie. If the problem occurs with all lenses, isn't it statistically improbable that it's a lens issue?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

I meant, poorly I guess, does it happen with all lenses?  If it does, I agree 100%, it's the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements