cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The shooting speed with the continuous shooting can be affected if I shoot jpeg, raw or raw + jpeg.

davikokar
Contributor

Hallo, I am using a Canon EOS 6D. In the specifications it is stated that the speed when doing the continuous shooting is 4.5 fps. I wonder if this speed changes depending on the setting regarding on how I save data on the card (raw, jpeg, raw+jpeg). Or it is ALWAYS 4.5 no matter how I save the data ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

My interpretation of the spec is that it specifies how many FPS it can shoot when in good light with a good lens & it doesn't care about the file structure saved. That file goes into the buffer as the camera continues shooting & that becomes the limiting factor on HOW MANY shots you can take before the camera stops firing. A faster card helps a bit but transfer speed is really the limiting factor once the buffer starts to fill. From experience cameras writing to dual cards are slower than if instructed to only write to the CF card.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hsbn
Whiz
Yes, your frame rate stays the same. Your burst rate will go do significantly with Raw + Jpeg. And if you choose Silent SHooting mode, it's around 3FPS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, the number of shutters you can make will be determined by the size of the buffer. Not the file size itself.

Obviously if you set your shutter speed at 1 sec or ½ sec, ¼ sec, etc, you wold not see 4.5 FPS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements