Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
zen
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

The Canon 6D and which compatible lenses?

I've recently sold all my entire Nikon gear for various reasons.  I will buy the Canon 6D when it comes out next month.  

I currently live in Japan and it's currently listed as a kit:  EOS 6D EF24-105L IS USM.  I want a 18-200 and hope that Canon matches Nikon and comes out with a 18-300 soon.  When I search for lenses, what code number should I look-out for to be sure that it is 100% compatible with the 6D. 

Is it the "EF", "IS" or "USM" in the part number that I should make sure is always in a lense that is 100% compatible with the 6D.

,scout

*Canon newbie*

Occasional Contributor

Re: The Canon 6D and which compatible lenses?

Hello from Tokyo

The 6D has a limited AF compared to 5D3 and many Nikon, I advise you try it before you buy.

"EF" means full frame, this is the one important to you. Don't buy one who says "EF-S", that is APS-C sencor only. Any EF will be 100% compatible.

"IS" is stabilized and "USM" is fast AF, they are irelevant in term of compatible or not.

You won't find 18-200 on full frame sensors like the 6D. The standard zooms are more like the 24-105 you selected. If you want a zoom and size is very important, the 24-105 or the new 24-70 is a good choice.

Overall, I am not sure why to buy a full frame camera and use it with a single dark zoom. You will loose the benefit of the big sensor. At least I recommend you buy a 50mm 1.8 along with your body and play with it (this is 8000 JPY in Kakaku.com).

My advise is to try different lens before you settle on a total set up that pelases you. Usually people spend 2/3 of the budget on lenses, only 1/3 on the body, because the pictures you make depends more on the lenses. One lens can't do it all very well.

Regards

alain

zen
New Contributor

EF70-300mm F4-5.6L IS USM (¥100,000)

EF70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM (¥200,000)

EF70-200mm F4L IS USM (¥100,000)

then all of these are full-frame lenses, compatible with the Canon 6D?

I will likely get the kit to start with and then the EF70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM.

thanks from Nikko, Japan.

,scout

Occasional Contributor

Yes, all are EF (not EF-S) and therefore full frame, and therefore fully compatible with the 6D.

They are very different beasts, the 2.8 IS II will give you really high quality.

Take the 4 IS if weight is an issue (trekking in Nikko etc).

I don't recommend the darker 70-300, you loose too much light, in that case the FF sensor is hard to justify.

The prices you quoted sound close to best ones.

Alain