cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you Canon!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Thank you to the leadership, engineers, and market researchers at Canon for producing the next great generation of the 1DX family. 

Holding the line at a 20 MP sensor with the 1DX 3 while pushing the low light/high ISO performance is MUCH appreciated and this will be the primary reason I will purchase one before the high school football season starts in Fall.  I will be very interested in seeing how the new low pass filter improves sharpness as more sample photos are released but it certainly sounds like a winner.  The improvements in the AF system sound like they are dead on target for sports shooters.  I doubt if I will ever really utilize the increased frame rate or bufffer depth since both have been more than adequate with my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies but I am extremely happy that the DSLR technology with its excellent battery life and zero lag optical viewfinder continues. 

I knew that there was a reason why I just agreed to briefly come out of retirement to take on a small consulting contract and I guess it was the anticipation that Canon would introduce an excellent new photography tool 🙂  I know that the design evolution of the 1DX 3 won't be everyone's "cup of tea" but for sports photography, especially in poor light, it looks like another home run.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
24 REPLIES 24

One of the guys I know that does the KU basketball games has and uses a Sony mirrorless but it is a backup. He uses a DSLR for the main work. I don't consider that a "pro going to mirrorless".  Perhaps you and some do. Canon must feel there is still enough market and need in the pro DSLR world because evidenced by the 1DX Mk III or they would not have spent the R&D. They nor no one males a pro level mirrorless camera.

I have no idea what the guys in Europe or Asis use, I only know my circle of friends that are still in the business.

Nor do I know if it is "bleeping" cold at either pole. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am FAR from being a very good basketball photographer and I am still very much learning the tricks and techniques.  When I shot the varsity girls' game last night I think that makes a total of maybe 10 basketball games for me and I never played the sport in high school. But the power and capabilities of the 1DX and 1DX 2 allowed me to get some decent images from the game and  I can understand how well these DSLR bodies do work in the hands of a true pro.

As a learning experiment last night I shot the entire game with both bodies set to single shot mode so that I could work on my timing instead of relying upon the speed and buffer depth of the 1 series.  I guess I could get used to the time lag with an EVF but I see no reason to at this point.  It will take more than "because it is mirrorless" for me to make the switch.  The even better AF of the 1DX 3 is enough for me to select one as my next primary camera body and any improvement in high ISO noise will just be a bonus.

And if I was doing this as contract work last night, I definitely would have leaned heavily upon the speed and buffer depth of the 1DX bodies, to do otherwise would have been crazy 🙂

Rodger

AQ9I5639.JPG

AQ9I5781.JPG

AQ9I5706.JPG

B18T7346.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

OMG, that first shot is priceless.  They are all good but I love the first one.

Here is what mirrorless is good for.  This from G15.

sunset.jpg

EB

Thanks Ernie!  There have been some gorgeous sunsets lately but I haven't tried to capture one in years.  Having grown up on the coast, I really love those palm fronds backlit by the setting sun!

Rodger

@wq9nsc wrote:

I am FAR from being a very good basketball photographer and I am still very much learning the tricks and techniques.  When I shot the varsity girls' game last night I think that makes a total of maybe 10 basketball games for me and I never played the sport in high school. But the power and capabilities of the 1DX and 1DX 2 allowed me to get some decent images from the game and  I can understand how well these DSLR bodies do work in the hands of a true pro.

As a learning experiment last night I shot the entire game with both bodies set to single shot mode so that I could work on my timing instead of relying upon the speed and buffer depth of the 1 series.  I guess I could get used to the time lag with an EVF but I see no reason to at this point.  It will take more than "because it is mirrorless" for me to make the switch.  The even better AF of the 1DX 3 is enough for me to select one as my next primary camera body and any improvement in high ISO noise will just be a bonus.

And if I was doing this as contract work last night, I definitely would have leaned heavily upon the speed and buffer depth of the 1DX bodies, to do otherwise would have been crazy 🙂

Rodger

Rodger, if you're not a very good basketball photographer, I hope I get to see who is.

Irrelevant question: Was this an intramural game? Both of their shirts say "Spartans".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob but I have a LOT to learn.  It wasn't intramural, both schools are the Spartans which makes it confusing.  They are in conference but about 65 miles away making them the most distant of the conference schools. 

Their football announcer had a very rough time this past season calling the Spartan vs Spartan football game.  That game also featured our senior kicker who never had played football before his one and only season.  After a touchdown, he literally missed the ball on the ensuing kickoff and he and the entire team ran about 15 yards down field before they realized the problem.  The officials had to huddle for a conference before calling offsides and ordering a re-kick because none of us had ever seen that happen before 🙂  I was standing near a group of the assistant coaches and we were all laughing so hard I almost missed the second kickoff attempt where the kicker fortunately made a solid kick.

Rodger

A while back I posted something similar to the OP.  Getting the 1DXII exceeded all my expectations for shooting sports over the last several years (and I was expecting a lot!)   I upgraded from a 10yo 7D (mark 1) and it was like being on a different planet.  Seeing the specs of the 1DXIII don't make it worth upgrading for me (hobbyist/volunteer), but it is certainly impressive.  Looking forward to impressions here in the forum.  

I will wait for the professional version of the R series as I want a mirrorless for indoor, non-sporting events.  I shot a high school fundraiser and, as you would expect, the 1DXII did an amazing job; but it was a 6-hour event because they wanted me to shoot setup and some after-event stuff.  A mirrorless would have been more convenient and from what I've seen from the R, the shots would have been amazing as well.  I don't care much about video, so none of those specs are an issue for me. 

After 13 years of gymnastics (main reason I started with the 7D way back in the day), my daughter earned a full scholarship to college to compete... then gave it up after one year.  She was fried mentally, unfortunately.  So my shooting will be more volunteer work now, and maybe a bit less sports, so I'm looking forward to the R series.  Plus, to be honest, I just like learning new technology.  I don't do cars, fancy food, cigars, or fine wine.  Cameras and computers are the vice. 🙂 

Love learning from everyone here.  

Billy 

"...I want a mirrorless for indoor, non-sporting events"

One word for you lag and AF.  Well that's is two words but neither help with sports.

EB

Pre-order placed with B&H for a 1DX III, now the wait begins 🙂  It should be here in time for the start of HS soccer season which doesn't start until mid-March.

My 1DX will become a backup body to the 1DX 2 and new 1DX 3 which is sort of a shame because it is still an incredible camera.  But I think managing two cameras at an event is my limit.  My Sun Sniper double camera harness has provisions for a third camera but that would overload both my back and my cognitive abilities to manage all three at once 🙂

Rodger

Smiley Happy Go get'em Tiger!

EB
Announcements