cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you Canon!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Thank you to the leadership, engineers, and market researchers at Canon for producing the next great generation of the 1DX family. 

Holding the line at a 20 MP sensor with the 1DX 3 while pushing the low light/high ISO performance is MUCH appreciated and this will be the primary reason I will purchase one before the high school football season starts in Fall.  I will be very interested in seeing how the new low pass filter improves sharpness as more sample photos are released but it certainly sounds like a winner.  The improvements in the AF system sound like they are dead on target for sports shooters.  I doubt if I will ever really utilize the increased frame rate or bufffer depth since both have been more than adequate with my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies but I am extremely happy that the DSLR technology with its excellent battery life and zero lag optical viewfinder continues. 

I knew that there was a reason why I just agreed to briefly come out of retirement to take on a small consulting contract and I guess it was the anticipation that Canon would introduce an excellent new photography tool 🙂  I know that the design evolution of the 1DX 3 won't be everyone's "cup of tea" but for sports photography, especially in poor light, it looks like another home run.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
24 REPLIES 24

And Ernie, if you get one before I do I look forward to your impressions and experience! 

As for mirrorless, the advantages aren't there for me yet.  I definitely don't want to deal with an electronic viewfinder while following fast action or the shortened battery life from the much greater power budget of a mirrorless while shooting multiple events-much of which occur in temperatures that sap battery life.  With the long fast glass I use, the 1 series DSLR bodies provide the proper balance that a lighter and smaller body won't.  Mirrorless is better for some situations but in its current form definitely not for all.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"... if you get one before I do ..."

At this point, all eyes are on you for first impressions. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

RexGig
Enthusiast

Rodger, I look forward to your user report, and other user reports.

I am glad, and thankful, to see this camera being officially announced, but, for my use, I remain undecided. I will try to budget for the top-tier action camera, but will hope that some of the 1DX3’s AF technology trickles-down into a smaller, lighter-weight 5D- and/or 7D-series camera, by 2021 or 2022.

It is not that I do not appreciate top-tier pro cameras, but my feet and knees are starting to feel every bit of weight that I carry, and my right arm is not aging well. A 5D-/7D-series camera is plenty hefty enough to "balance" my EF 300/2.8L IS, or the EF 400/4 DO II that I would like to acquire.

"... smaller, lighter-weight 5D- and/or 7D-series camera, by 2021 or 2022."

My guess you will be waiting for much longer then 2022 for a new 7 series. Trickle down will almost assuredly happen but don't expect all of it soon.  Keep in mind, however, it is not the advancements in technology that is the 1 series main most attribute. It is the massive build.  It is a camera designed to be there no matter the conditions.  That alone is the difference.

Each level or model of Canon cameras get better tech, of course, but they also get better build. Better weather sealing, etc.

We used to claim, "You can beat somebody to death with a 1 series and than take the crime scene photos with it!"  They are tough, built like a tank as they say!. As expected, like a tank, they are big and heavy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EOS-1D X Mark III from CanonUSA....

https://youtu.be/tWVoTTWnnm0 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements