cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering 6d mk ii to LR

hkerns503
Contributor

6D Mark ii. I figured out how to connect camera to wifi via Canon utility software. However Id like to view the pictures as I take them in Lightroom. Can I achieve this via wifi or does it have to be tethered with a cable. If possible via wifi can someone help me figure out how to connect it?

If I need a cable what is the end that connects to the cable called?

Thanks for any advice/help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hkerns503 wrote:

Ok thanks for the advice. How long does the image stay on the screen? Is it just a preview or does it stay up until next shot?

In this case the image would not actually save to the device would it? If it does how much memory would I need?

Does it have to be a top of the line/newest/latest/greatest tablet? I have spent so much money already.

I don't know what device you are trying to use?  I have my camera set to "No Preview", so I don't see anything. The screen blanks out when I fire the shutter.  I want metering to be performed by the same system as the OVF.

I do not use LR for tethering.  I suggest that you go to an Adobe Forum for specific LR questions.  I was not aware that the mobile versions of LR supported tethering.  I should suppose that they would support it.  Ask Adobe how that works.

Canon's app allows you to specify a save folder when I use my laptop, tethered by USB.  I only the use the iPad as a remote wireless shutter.  Remember,, the built-in Wi-Fi in a camera does not mean it is fully networkable.  Think of it as a longer range, wireless Bluetooth.  All you have is two devices communicating wirelessly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I have no idea if tethering can be done over WiFi; I've only seen it done with cables.

In terms of the cable, it'd be the same USB cable as what you got with the camera itself.  The smaller end being a mini-B style connector and the larger end being USB type B.   You can always pick up a longer cable if needed.  For example, Tether Tools makes some that are also colored orange for better visibility.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

His question might be better asked in an adobe forum.

I don't use Lr myself or follow its capabilities.  

As far as I know you can tether via Wi-Fi using the EOS Utility and import realtime into Lr.  But I have no idea how practical or quick it might be...  RAW files can be large and if you are going to bring jpegs into Lr, I think it defeats the purpose.  Again however, I don't do this.

I saw a post about something called CamRanger and Tether Tools as Ricky mentions.  Lr Classic has an auto import feature...  but when you Google "wifi tethering to adobe lightroom" nothing official from Adobe comes up.

There is likely a solution and a way to do this, but adobe isn't making it easy to find out how.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.p4pictures.com/how-to-shoot-tethered-with-lightroom-eos-camera/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

hkerns503
Contributor

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Also I checked that link and its for the 6D. But Im going to attempt it tomorrow anyhow. Ty ty

I usually use the EOS Utility for tethered shooting.  This is because I am usually remote when I do it, and my computer running LR is many miles away.  In this case, I use Bluetooth to connect to an iPad.  

I recommend using a smart device that does not have phone service.  Devices with phone service seem like they drop the connection to the camera if too much time passes between shots.  The phone will reconnect to the phone provider.

Ok thanks for the advice. How long does the image stay on the screen? Is it just a preview or does it stay up until next shot?

In this case the image would not actually save to the device would it? If it does how much memory would I need?

Does it have to be a top of the line/newest/latest/greatest tablet? I have spent so much money already.

@hkerns503 wrote:

I don't know what device you are trying to use?  I have my camera set to "No Preview", so I don't see anything. The screen blanks out when I fire the shutter.  I want metering to be performed by the same system as the OVF.

I do not use LR for tethering.  I suggest that you go to an Adobe Forum for specific LR questions.  I was not aware that the mobile versions of LR supported tethering.  I should suppose that they would support it.  Ask Adobe how that works.

Canon's app allows you to specify a save folder when I use my laptop, tethered by USB.  I only the use the iPad as a remote wireless shutter.  Remember,, the built-in Wi-Fi in a camera does not mean it is fully networkable.  Think of it as a longer range, wireless Bluetooth.  All you have is two devices communicating wirelessly.

I cant afford ipad pro etc. Maybe a cheaper older ipad or samsung? I meant how long will the taken shot stay on the tablet if i use your method. I think Im just going to buy the tethering cable for my imac.. but im still interested in the tablet tethering for outdoor use esp when its already hard to see because of outdoor light. I might also need glasses Woman Happy

Announcements