cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethered Capture in Lightroom 6

yendor58
Apprentice

I have 2 cameras 5D Mark II & III. Neither camera will connect to Lightroom 6 on the laptop even while the Canon tether plugin is installed in LR 6. I use the oranger 15 ft cord from Tether Pro. All the latest updates are installed on the laptop. It will occassionally recognize the camera, but then disconnects. No function operates. My desktop has the same setup and works perfect. Has anyone discovered a solution? My hardware is totally up to date and Windows 10 is my OS.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you say a 15 foot cable?  Depending upon the speed of the USB device, you are limited to 5 meters or 3 meters.  I suggest that you try a shorter cable.  Test your current setup with Canon EOS Utility, to verify whether or not your long cable is actually the issue.  I strongly suspect that it is the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EOS utility works fine, but it doesn't connect to Lightromm 6. I have to send files to picture than back to LR 6. Slows me down.

@yendor58 wrote:

EOS utility works fine, but it doesn't connect to Lightromm 6. I have to send files to picture than back to LR 6. Slows me down.

If your EOS Utility works, then your issue is almost certainly with the Adobe software.  I have never used LR to perform tethered capture, when the EOS utility does it so well.  I have imported files directly from the camera when I first started using Lightroom, and quickly decided that the EOS utility once again does a better job of it.  

The EOS Utility allows me to specify where the files are stored, and perform sophisticated file renaming in the process.  I then use Microsoft SyncToy to move the files to two network locations, one primary and one for backup.  I then import files into LR across my network, letting LR create "smart previews" in the process, which causes LR to automatically create DNG files.

In order for LR to connect to the camera, the Canon device drivers need to be loaded and running.  The best way to get those drivers setup is to let the EOS Utility startup, and then closing it while the camera is still connected and powered up.  This will cause the drivers to remain loaded and running, and LR could connect to my camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First let me tell you I use LR6 to tether and it works fine.  By orange USB cable, do you mean the active or powered one?  I have used 50 to 75 feet of active cables and it works as it should.  I used to do it with a 5d2 and 5d3 so it will work.  The fact EOSU works confirms that.

I would bet you it is a Win 10 problem.  There is probably a dll or some file missing.  You might try to update LR6 to make sure it is current with the latest Win 10.  Call Adobe support and ask them.  Win 10 is and has been a problem ever since it was released.  No wonder MS gives it away for free.  That's all it's worth!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks everyone. It seems like it is probably Adobe's issue. I will try reinstalling LR6 if Abobe will let me.

"I would bet you it is a Win 10 problem."

Keep that in mind.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements