cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens and Canon 6D Mark II

sustain
Apprentice

I recently purchased a new Canon 6D Mark II and was hoping that the Tamron lens would work on it. It fits ok but I only see a small square of light coming through the lens, no images. Are there any compatibilty issues here? Anything I can do to fix the problem. Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I would say it is likely one of two possibilities. Either you have a bad lens, or there is shipping and packing material in the lens mount.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you

I would have thought tat but the lens works fine with my Canon 70D.

@sustain wrote:

Thank you

I would have thought tat but the lens works fine with my Canon 70D.

The lens may need a firmware update.  Contact Tamron.

Sustain,

I own the same body.  Looked at the Tamron (G2 version), but in the end, went with the Sigma.

Tamron has had multiple compatibility issues with Canon.  Some of their lens are troublefree others quirks that appear to have been corrected with FW updates (mostly).  You'll need a TAP-In adapter to update FW.

The v1 lens is no longer for sale.

If you have the non G2 model (A0007) revision, there is no FW

If you have the G2 (A0032) variant, updated FW exists

http://www.tamron-usa.com/support/updates_canon.html

Tamron lens compatibility

https://www.tamron.com/faq/products/checker.html

Site lists the v1 and G2 variants as compatible with the 6D2

While I believe Tamron makes good products, I'm happy I went with Sigma in the end.  I compared the 2 for weeks.  The factors that influenced my decision:

List of Tamron lens with compatibility issues much larger than Sigma year over year

Tamron's goofy backwards zoom ring rotation

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, this is very helpful. 

I have both the Sigma and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lenses and both work as advertised on my 1D Mk IV and 1DX. I have never been a fan on the 6 series so I can't say about it. Any third party gear can have problems so it is always better to stick with Canon gear.

BTW, if you are curious the Tamron is by far the better lens than the Siggy. I would contact Tamron whose CS is far better than it used to be. If you are considering a 70-200mil, the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens is the better choice too.

However, Canon's offerings in these focal length ranges is head and shoulders above any of the others.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have both the Sigma and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lenses and both work as advertised on my 1D Mk IV and 1DX. I have never been a fan on the 6 series so I can't say about it. Any third party gear can have problems so it is always better to stick with Canon gear.

BTW, if you are curious the Tamron is by far the better lens than the Siggy. I would contact Tamron whose CS is far better than it used to be. If you are considering a 70-200mil, the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens is the better choice too.

However, Canon's offerings in these focal length ranges is head and shoulders above any of the others.

I would agree. I don’t have the Tamron, but I have the Sigma and the Canon and the difference in focus speed makes the Canon worth the money.  The canon is also much sharper and has better contrast.

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

I would agree. I don’t have the Tamron, but I have the Sigma and the Canon and the difference in focus speed makes the Canon worth the money.  The canon is also much sharper and has better contrast.

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is extremely sharp, even at 24mm.  Definitely worth the money!

71676240-E121-40E3-BA6A-5EC1A483C611.jpeg

The above image was shot with a 6D Mark II and the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens.  

"The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is extremely sharp..."

Absolutely but curiosity is why I buy and try and use others. My retirement hobby if you will.  I know what they can and can't do so I don't have to rely on the liars on the ole inner web.  Canon is almost always the winner and not just by a bit but substantially better.

BTW, b&w is not a great example to prove sharpness. Contrasty edges tend to make a poor photo look sharp even when it isn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements