cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC - 80N3 remote change - upgrade? When did Canon do this?

WesternGuy
Enthusiast

Just curious, about this remote controller.  I have one fo the "older" ones which is just basically a remote shutter release.  I was looking to buy a second one as I find it is always nice to have a backup.  Now I find that Canon has upgraded this to a full blown remote that funtions as an intervalometer, a remote shutter control, a self timer and an interval timer.  I did not know when this "upgrade" occurred, so I am just wondering if anyone knows when Canon did this.  Not that I object, but it makes for a completely new piece of gear in my bag.

WesternGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks diverhank.  I am still learning about the capabilities of my 5D4, so I will have to check that functionality out.  I wasn't aware that this was a capability of the touch screen when using the LiveView mode.  I need to read a bit more of the manual   Smiley Happy .

WG

If it is only one second, that may not be near long enough for many budget priced, professional grade tripods and heads.  In fact, I am going to declare that it is NOT long enough.  

You would need to use a pretty robust tripod, one that does not use a center column, and a fairly robust head to match.  Many budget tripods with center columns can resonate and vibrate like a tuning fork for a few seconds with their center columns raised..  

If you have the time to use the 10 second timer, then use that.  Otherwise, I would still use a wired remote with $200 tripod kit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

diverhank
Authority

@WesternGuy wrote:

Just curious, about this remote controller.  I have one fo the "older" ones which is just basically a remote shutter release.  I was looking to buy a second one as I find it is always nice to have a backup.  Now I find that Canon has upgraded this to a full blown remote that funtions as an intervalometer, a remote shutter control, a self timer and an interval timer.  I did not know when this "upgrade" occurred, so I am just wondering if anyone knows when Canon did this.  Not that I object, but it makes for a completely new piece of gear in my bag.

WesternGuy

I've got mine for what seemed forever...so this is not new.  If I have to hazard a guess, it came out in 2012.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

It is new to me.  A previous version that I had, which was only the "shutter release" variety, gave up as the the cable became frayed where the cable attaches to the control unit.  The reason I am concerned about all this "new" functionality, is that I have a 5D IV and it has most of this intervalomenter type stuff built in and so all I really need is remote shutter release.  The previous version of this TC-89N3 was a bit under $100, now the new one is over $200.  I don't like paying for functionality that I do not need.  Maybe there is a third party shutter release that I can find somewhere.

WesternGuy

Yes there are quite a few after-market release cables that work great for under $10.  Even with a fancy remote, I never use any of the features because when I need it, I'd have already forgot how to do it...not a good thing when fumbling in the dark.

Any "brand" names I should look for?  Probably find one, or more, on Amazon?  I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with any third-party shutter releases for the 5D series of cameras, 5D III or 5D IV.

WG

My backup release brand is "Pixel". I bought it on Amazon for under $10 and I end up using it more and more than the Canon one...no battery is needed and it works just fine...I had it accidentally immersed in ocean water more than once and it's still working great.  Bottom line any of them will work...if not you're out only a few bucks...not even breaking a sweat...

Thanks diverhank.  I appreciate your help with this.  I will definitely go and have a look on Amazon.

WesternGuy

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks diverhank.  I appreciate your help with this.  I will definitely go and have a look on Amazon.

WesternGuy

By the way WesternGuy, you mentioned that you have a 5D4...with the 5D4 you don't need a remote cable, really.  I don't have one but friends who use it no longer use the cable release...in live view, they just touch on screen and the camera will snap the shot about half a second later.  That must be one of the options.  For most (all for me) applications where you use a cable release, you are using liveview anyways and one battery lasts all day on the 5D4.  If I had the 5D4, I would not need my cable either.

Thanks diverhank.  I am still learning about the capabilities of my 5D4, so I will have to check that functionality out.  I wasn't aware that this was a capability of the touch screen when using the LiveView mode.  I need to read a bit more of the manual   Smiley Happy .

WG

@WesternGuy wrote:

WG

If it is only one second, that may not be near long enough for many budget priced, professional grade tripods and heads.  In fact, I am going to declare that it is NOT long enough.  

You would need to use a pretty robust tripod, one that does not use a center column, and a fairly robust head to match.  Many budget tripods with center columns can resonate and vibrate like a tuning fork for a few seconds with their center columns raised..  

If you have the time to use the 10 second timer, then use that.  Otherwise, I would still use a wired remote with $200 tripod kit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements