cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i to 1-D Mark ii a smart buy?

Markfinn
Contributor

I am considering upgrading from my Rebel T3i to a 1-D Mark ii, but I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not that's a worthwhile upgrade. In case it matters, I would classify myself as an advanced amateur, and a semi-professional. The photo quality of the T3i is quite impressive, but the color replication is inaccurate at times, and the ISO gets noisy around/above 800. I'm looking to upgrade primarily because of the issues with color replication and noise, but also for the 1.3x crop factor sensor and the increased control over features/options. (I always shoot on full-manual, but having only one click wheel to control it all I annoying at times. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? (I'm planning on spending $500-600) Any and all feedback helps, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Between everyone's good points I got pretty confused as to whether I was making the right decision or not, but I came to the conclusion that the 1-D Mark II wasn't an upgrade, but a compliment to my T3i. When compared side-by-side the T3i and the 1-D's strengths and weaknesses line up perfectly to cover all my photographic needs.

The 1-D has the superior AF system and capture rate, not to mention build quality, while the T3i has more megapixels, a newer processor, its lighter and can use my EF-S lenses. (to name a few pros/cons)

To answer your question, ebiggs1, I currently only have a couple of nice EF-S lenses, and a 35-80mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens (yeah, not great, I know haha) I do also have access to my friend's 24-70mm f/2.8L whenever he's not using it though.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

As long as you have the appropriate lens(es) to fill the frame cropping isn't an issue. As good as a 600D might be it won't do some of the things a 1D2 does, especially if tracking a high speed object where accurate AF is required. At todays prices the move to a 1D2 or 2N isn't that big an expense & if it doesn't meet your needs there is still a very good chance you can sell it for very close to what you paid. No new body has such a low depreciation rate as the older pro bodies in todays market. My 1D2n will shoot thousands of frames at events this summer, and they won't need much cropping to use them as intended. I wouldn't however recommend buying the original 1D or 1Ds but the second versions of both are still very capable cameras.   

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I totally understand and agree with you in your points. What I was trying to express is why buy old technology when you can get better ones now. Like why not consider the 7D? Even a used one is under 1000

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not do it. One thing Canon doesn't support the 1D Mk II any longer. What about batteries?

My best first choice would be to wait and save up enough for a 5D Mk II. There isn't anything wrong with your T3i until than.

Also what glass do you have?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Like why not consider the 7D? Even a used one is under 1000."

Yes why not? This is a good route to take also.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Batteries are readily available & so is servicing, but not from Canon.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Between everyone's good points I got pretty confused as to whether I was making the right decision or not, but I came to the conclusion that the 1-D Mark II wasn't an upgrade, but a compliment to my T3i. When compared side-by-side the T3i and the 1-D's strengths and weaknesses line up perfectly to cover all my photographic needs.

The 1-D has the superior AF system and capture rate, not to mention build quality, while the T3i has more megapixels, a newer processor, its lighter and can use my EF-S lenses. (to name a few pros/cons)

To answer your question, ebiggs1, I currently only have a couple of nice EF-S lenses, and a 35-80mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 lens (yeah, not great, I know haha) I do also have access to my friend's 24-70mm f/2.8L whenever he's not using it though.

Hello Markfinn.

The biggest reason to move from crop to full frame (OK, closer to full frame since it's 1.3 crop instead of 1.6) is for landscape photography.

That being said, looking at the lenses you have, I'm not sure the 1D MkII is where you should focus your attention.

As others have said, the 7D is a phenomonal camera, and instead of purchasing a secondary 1D MkII, I'd recommend taking that money (~$500 - $1000 at the moment, used, on eBay) and sell the T3i (also selling for ~$350-$500) and (so $850 on the lowest end) purchase the 7D with that money. You can use all the same lenses you have and you get the speed, and low light photography. What you don't get is the 1.3x crop factor, which means landscape will suffer a little, but it's not that bad. Just look at a wider lens for the crop.

Some good logic in that last message. The 7D & my 1D2n were VERY close in AF ability & FPS, and the 7D has a few more features plus a lot more pixels. There are pro's & cons to both purchases.

If you have mostly EF-S lens I think it would be better to get a crop sensor body. Unless you sell all your lens and go FF. The only reason I can see you buying the 1D mark ii is because you want a 1D body (or feel) otherwise you want a FF. Because the 7D has more mp, newer processor and quick AF as well.

I hope its not too late.. did you buy the 1D yet/..?
I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Well, I actually did end up buying a 1D Mark II N.

I sprang for it because the lenses on my want list are all more than 2x what I paid, and the 50mm that I have can fill my needs until I can afford more glass.

I'm also still trying to convince a friend of mine to sell me his 24-70mm f2.8L, so if that goes well I will have the best of both worlds haha

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry if it seems like I didn't take any of your advice, It did really help me with the descision
Announcements