cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Canon system, which one to buy? EOS RP or 6d mark II ?

Vejas
Contributor

Hello Canon users,

I'm new there and decided to change all my gear to Canon.
I'm product and portrait photographer, shooting on location and in studio.

Because i do not have any lenses, so im looking for cheaper body and planning to buy more lenses rather than expensive body.

So i have some questions:
  -Which camera autofocus will perform better EOS RP or 6d mark II ? 

-Will not R line lenses like 50mm f1.2 85mm f1.4 or 24-70 f2.8 will perform good with adapter on RP ? 
  -Will HSS work on 6d mark II and RP when using studio lights and Cactus v6II trigger? used on 5d mari IV it worked fine..
  -What abour dynamic range?  Will there be DR good enough on EOS RP and 6d mark II or rather i need save money for       EOS R or 5d mark IV?
  -Its wise to buy EOS RP and use it for example with 70-200 ? :)) 

Would buy 6D mark II, it have better battery and feels in hand more comfortable, but i have feeling, that autofocus will perform much better on RP or im wrong ? 

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is hard to say, One difference is that you never have to worry about AFMA - that is adjusting the lens to the camera - since the RP always uses the main sensor for AF.

It appears that the adapters work pretty well.

Most of the rest is subjective.

Yes, but what about AFMA when not using fixed focal lenght lenses? its works fine for example when using 24-70? i mean 24mm and 70mm same AFMA required?

My understanding is AFMA is used to correct the difference between the focusing sensors and the actual photo sensors.  In the R line it uses the photo sensors for focusing.  No AFMA.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Vejas wrote:

Hello Canon users,

I'm new there and decided to change all my gear to Canon.
I'm product and portrait photographer, shooting on location and in studio.

Because i do not have any lenses, so im looking for cheaper body and planning to buy more lenses rather than expensive body.

So i have some questions:

1. Which camera autofocus will perform better EOS RP or 6d mark II ? 

2. Will not R line lenses like 50mm f1.2 85mm f1.4 or 24-70 f2.8 will perform good with adapter on RP ? 
  3.  Will HSS work on 6d mark II and RP when using studio lights and Cactus v6II trigger?
    1. used on 5d mari IV it worked fine..
  4. What abour dynamic range? 
    1. Will there be DR good enough on EOS RP and 6d mark II
    2. Or, rather i need save money for EOS R or 5d mark IV?
  5. Its wise to buy EOS RP and use it for example with 70-200 ?

Would buy 6D mark II, it have better battery and feels in hand more comfortable, but i have feeling, that autofocus will perform much better on RP or im wrong ? 

What gear are you kicking to the curb?  Every brand has its’ own small edge over others.  I think Canon has the best lenses, color reproduction, camera menu systems, AF tracking, and customer service.  Other brands have better specs for this or that other thing, but those are less significant once you add post processing to the mix.

For product and portrait photography, here is my take on some of your questions.  I own and use a 6D2, but have so far passed on the EOS R and RP.  Which is better is really up to how you plan to use the camera.

1. Both cameras should AF equally well with static subjects.  The 6D2 is very good at tracking moving subjects, and offers spot focusing and metering modes.  I would expect the RP to offer the same, but it is an entry level body.
  2. If you are asking how well EF lenses will perform with the adapter on RF mount bodies, then all reviews say it works very well.  There are no optics involved, just electronic signals and distance adjustment to the lens.
  3. I would be surprised if both the 6D2 and EOS RP are not hobbled in some fashion when it comes to HSS.  The 6D2 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/180.
  4. I would not be too overly concerned about dynamic range on either 6D2 or RP in a studio, where you control all of the lighting.
    1. I think the knocks against the DR of the 6D2 have been way overblown.  It appears to measure not as well at ISO 100 compared to its’ predecessor.  But, I can get more usable photos at the much higher ISOs.  
      1. I have captured very usable photos at ISO 25600 with the 6D2, something which I could not do with the 6D.
      2. Due to the fact that both bodies appear to use the same image sensor, then I would expect the RP to have similar results as the 6D2, if not better because of the newer CPU.
    2. Given a choice between the EOS R and 5D4, I would go for the 5D4, simply because it is a known quantity.
      1. If nearly all of my shooting were from a tripod, then I would take a closer look at the RP because of its’ price.
  5. I see nothing wrong with using the RP with any of the current EF 70-200mm lenses.  Again, the Canon mount adapter only contains electronics, and no optics.  So, there should be no degradation in image quality.  And, I am sure Canon knows what is under the hood when it comes to the electronic requirements of their own lens mounts.

There are plenty of written and video reviews of both bodies.  Most seem to be biased, but there are a few that are not.  I think the RP will only get the -6 Ev focusing with an f/1.2 lens.  

In Live View mode, I would expect the cameras to be fairly close in performance.  The RP may have more AF points, so it may look better on paper in that regard.  Both cameras seem to use near identical Dual Pixel AF image sensors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm product and portrait photographer, shooting on location and in studio."

So you are just an amateur?  Because the models you list as choices are amateur level cameras. Limited to the choices you stated I would go 6D Mk II all the way.  However, if you are serious look at the 5D Mk IV. The two lenses you need are the  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens. These are the best lenses made in the world no matter which body you buy, 6D Mk II or 5D Mk IV.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements