cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunrise photo!

cleansensor
Contributor

Hello evryone,

I am using Canon 5D mark 3 for Photography I just started shooting. What is the best setting for sunrise and Sunset?

Thank you,

Mu.

25 REPLIES 25

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Of course the correct answer is 'bracket'.  Bracketing is your friend.  Your camera can do 3 or 5 bracked exposuers in fractions of a second.

Negative.  I would not bracket a shot of first light at sunrise.

Bracketing will alter your exposure settings.  I captured first light with the camera in continuous shooting mode, and the settings were fixed in Manual shooting mode.  The scene bracketed itself.  

You do not need to alter exposure settings to capture first light, just fast reflexes and a remote shutter cable.  In fact, I had dialed in -2 Ev exposure compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Negative.  I would not bracket a shot of first light at sunrise."

That is your opinion and wrong again.  But you are probably used to that by now.

"Bracketing will alter your exposure settings."

That is the idea !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Negative.  I would not bracket a shot of first light at sunrise."

That is your opinion and wrong again.  But you are probably used to that by now.

"Bracketing will alter your exposure settings."

That is the idea !

My opinion, based upon my experience.  But, your opinion is not fact, either. 

Shooting at “first light” is a very different scenario, which you are obviously not familiar with.  The scene changes by several Ev in less than a second.  You should try it sometime, and enlighten yourself.

Once again, your “experience” is your handicap, because it causes you to overlook the obvious.  You suggest that a camera can take a series of bracketed shots in less than a second.  Unfortunately, not everyone is using a camera that can shoot 10 FPS like you are.  Or, did you forget?

"My opinion, based upon my experience.  But, your opinion is not fact, either."

In photography there are many roads to the end.  Not all right and not all wrong but some are better than others.

Sometimes the camera does know what is best.  Bracketing is your friend.  If you would care to spend some time to learn how to use it, I think you just might like it.  Expand your 'horizons' man!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you.

Once you get comfortable with sunset photography, you might want to try your hand at Alpenglühen (the last vestige of the setting sun reflected off of a mountaintop or cloud) and Gegendämmerung (the reflection of a sunset, usually after the sun has set). Those phenomena are pretty hard to find, but I got lucky one evening down at the New Jersey shore:

Alpenglühen.JPG

Gegendämmerung.JPG

In both of these pictures, the sun was behind me.

I admit that these pictures are technically rather crappy. But in my defense I'll point out that it was ten years ago, and my skills (I hope) and my equipment (for sure) have improved a lot in the meantime. But another opportunity hasn't come along. Anyway, either phenomenon is interesting to look for and a bit of a coup if you can catch it. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Once you get comfortable with sunset photography, you might want to try your hand at Alpenglühen (the last vestige of the setting sun reflected off of a mountaintop or cloud) and Gegendämmerung (the reflection of a sunset, usually after the sun has set). Those phenomena are pretty hard to find, but I got lucky one evening down at the New Jersey shore:

Alpenglühen.JPG

Gegendämmerung.JPG

I admit that these pictures are technically rather crappy. But in my defense I'll point out that it was ten years ago, and my skills (I hope) and my equipment (for sure) have improved a lot in the meantime. But another opportunity hasn't come along. Anyway, either phenomenon is interesting to look for and a bit of a coup if you can catch it. 

The sun has dropped just below the horizon, so that it is still lighting up the atmosphere overhead, but not the ground upon which you stand.  It is most dramatic with high clouds.  

You can get a similar effect 1-10 minutes prior to sunrise.  In fact, some of my best sunrise photos were taken will before the sun actually broke the horizon.  The sun will light up the undersides of overhead clouds, creating quite the light show, almost similar to the one in the photo that I posted.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

[Pictures omitted]

The sun has dropped just below the horizon, so that it is still lighting up the atmosphere overhead, but not the ground upon which you stand.  It is most dramatic with high clouds.  

You can get a similar effect 1-10 minutes prior to sunrise.  In fact, some of my best sunrise photos were taken will before the sun actually broke the horizon.  The sun will light up the undersides of overhead clouds, creating quite the light show, almost similar to the one in the photo that I posted.

It helps to have water involved. In the Gegendämmerung photo especially, much of the color comes from the sunset being reflected off of the ocean. Note how orange the water is. The foreground also has an orange cast, but isn't nearly as reflective, therefore isn't as much of a contributor to the effect.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

[Pictures omitted]

It helps to have water involved. In the Gegendämmerung photo especially, much of the color comes from the sunset being reflected off of the ocean. Note how orange the water is. The foreground also has an orange cast, but isn't nearly as reflective, therefore isn't as much of a contributor to the effect.

It helps to have lots of smog and air pollution around to create the dazzling orange colors near the horizon.  😄

Announcements