cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunrise photo!

cleansensor
Contributor

Hello evryone,

I am using Canon 5D mark 3 for Photography I just started shooting. What is the best setting for sunrise and Sunset?

Thank you,

Mu.

25 REPLIES 25

There's nothing tricky about the settings, because you're usually focused on infinity and exposing for daylight.. With sunsets, start when it's still fairly bright and keep shooting until it gets so dark that everything is dull. Sunrises are just the reverse, but the problem with them is that while sunsets often get better as time passes, sunrises always get worse. So you have to start before the sun comes up, which means that you have to know where it's going to be.

Some may tell you that you need a tripod for sunsets. You don't. I've gotten several good sunset pictures, and I'm pretty sure all were hand-held. If you have to use a slow shutter speed on a sunset, it means you waited too long.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

I appreciate your input. I just check a youtube vedio about using the mode "P" underexposure I am just discovering now what is the option before i start shooting.

Thank you,

Mu.

@cleansensor wrote:

Bob,

I appreciate your input. I just check a youtube vedio about using the mode "P" underexposure I am just discovering now what is the option before i start shooting.

Thank you,

Mu.

I would suggest using Av mode, with a fixed ISO.  You would need to pre-focus, and then switch your lens to MF.  Having a remote shutter would be great.  Be ready for it.

There is a several stop difference in light between the pre-dawn, first light, and full sunrise.  The moment of first light will last only about a second, and you can get an exposure with the same settings as before the sun appeared.  After that, the light intensity climbs rapidly, and it is best to have sun filters on your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello there,

What is your suggestion to ISO? you mean use Autofocus and then switch to MF?

I have 3 fliters I did not use them yet. is there specific one for this matter?

Many thanks,

Mu.

@cleansensor wrote:

Hello there,

What is your suggestion to ISO? you mean use Autofocus and then switch to MF?

I have 3 fliters I did not use them yet. is there specific one for this matter?

Many thanks,

Mu.

I cannot tell you what exposure settings to use.  It can vary widely depending upon the lens and shooting conditions.  I would suggest shooting in fully manual mode, though.

As for your filters, the same advice applies.  I don’t know enough about your gear [lenses] and your shooting conditions.

Thank you!!

@cleansensor wrote:

Thank you!!

Use manual exposure, because the light conditions will coerce the camera into over exposing the shots..  Get there early, so you can take a number of exposure. 

IMG_7296-HDR.jpg

Every sunrise is different.  The above shot is first light.  A second later the exposure settings were a good 3-4 stops too high.

Thank you so much!!

Of course the correct answer is 'bracket'.  Bracketing is your friend.  Your camera can do 3 or 5 bracked exposuers in fractions of a second.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements