cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested Upgrades from Rebel T2i

lmJustSayin
Contributor
Howdy Folks,

I have finally been progressing with my interest in photography. I am trying to see what direction I should go next as far as camera.

My typical interest is landscapes, wildlife (animals), and the typical action shots of my family and kids. I have been trying to stay around the golden hours for picture time.

Current gear:

Rebel T2i
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS USM L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4-5.6

Would it be worth upgrading at this point to a full frame camera?
39 REPLIES 39

Here is another that had potential but the camera person didn't take full advantage of the situation.  This four legged native wasn't familiar with the rules of the road and created a traffic jam cruising in the wrong lane of Trail Ridge Road in the CO Rockies.  I was trapped too far back in the traffic and my daughter was too young to leave by herself in the pickup so I took the best opportunity I had leaning out the open door of my pickup.  The optimal spot didn't exist because it would have been hanging out in space over the far edge of the road but I certainly could have positioned myself better.  Too far away and I could have gotten a better lighting angle had changed my position a bit.  And every time I see those edge marker poles it makes me very happy that I am not a snow plow operator on this high mountain road!

This is very much like when I was coaching the young kids playing soccer that the perfect scoring opportunity almost never occurs but good opportunities do occur and you kids have to learn when you are in the right place in the zone between not-reasonable and perfect.  Human tendency is to either shoot too soon wasting the effort of having moved the ball down the field or waiting for an opportunity that never arrives and again wasting the effort.  The same is true of both soccer and photography.  And it is far easier to coach this important bit of behavior than it is to put this into practice 😞

Too bad I have far more bad examples than good but learning is lifelong.

RodgerTrail Ridge road.JPG  

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_DS31678.jpg

Wild burro in Custer State Park.

Park animals, State and National, are seldom averse to accepting an edible handout.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

And this guy expected some munchables. Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Two childhood memories I will never forget:

1.  An idiot in the Chimneys picnic area of the Great Smokies was smearing jelly on his two young childrens faces so that he could get a photo of a nearby bear licking their faces.  He was furious when several people interceded.  That was long before the days of cellular or he would have been having a long chat with the ranger service.

2. A young woman was sunbathing on a blanket near the Newfound Gap area (the border between TN and NC on what was then still US-441).  She had fallen asleep with a bottle of Coke next to her and she woke up to a bear licking the spilled Coke from her stomach.  She came through without physical harm but is probably still in therapy over the incident 🙂

That was back in the 1960s before they changed to "bear proof" garbage containers in the park so these sorts of incidents are very rare now.  Bears are still bears and tourists haven't gotten any smarter but the park service has matured.  And yes handouts are still a problem and some bears are relocated and rarely but unfortunately some must be destroyed after they become to used to being around people.

My only really dumb (as an adult) animal feeding was freeing a trapped coyote pup I discovered on my way to work one morning.  He had been climbing around a field drainage tile and some scrap concrete used to reduce erosion had shifted and trapped a hind paw.  I sacraficed the sandwich that was going to be lunch that day and calmed him down and got his foot loose.  He then tried to follow me to my car while his mother was yipping at him from a rise in the field (maybe she was telling me thank you but I doubt it).  Probably not the smartest move ever but unlike people I rarely find a troublesome animal 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"How close?  Well this is 70mm, not 200mm ! "

Beautiful but it does bring your sanity and judgment into question 🙂

Rodger

"Beautiful but it does bring your sanity and judgment into question"

Rodger I am afraid you will have to stand in line to offer that admonishment.  The entire family has already done so. Smiley Very Happy

EB

@wq9nsc wrote:

Two childhood memories I will never forget:

1.  An idiot in the Chimneys picnic area of the Great Smokies was smearing jelly on his two young childrens faces so that he could get a photo of a nearby bear licking their faces.  He was furious when several people interceded.  That was long before the days of cellular or he would have been having a long chat with the ranger service.

2. A young woman was sunbathing on a blanket near the Newfound Gap area (the border between TN and NC on what was then still US-441).  She had fallen asleep with a bottle of Coke next to her and she woke up to a bear licking the spilled Coke from her stomach.  She came through without physical harm but is probably still in therapy over the incident 🙂

That was back in the 1960s before they changed to "bear proof" garbage containers in the park so these sorts of incidents are very rare now.  Bears are still bears and tourists haven't gotten any smarter but the park service has matured.  And yes handouts are still a problem and some bears are relocated and rarely but unfortunately some must be destroyed after they become to used to being around people.

My only really dumb (as an adult) animal feeding was freeing a trapped coyote pup I discovered on my way to work one morning.  He had been climbing around a field drainage tile and some scrap concrete used to reduce erosion had shifted and trapped a hind paw.  I sacraficed the sandwich that was going to be lunch that day and calmed him down and got his foot loose.  He then tried to follow me to my car while his mother was yipping at him from a rise in the field (maybe she was telling me thank you but I doubt it).  Probably not the smartest move ever but unlike people I rarely find a troublesome animal 🙂

Rodger

They showed an incident on local TV the other night. A coyote had fallen through the ice of a shallow pond and was wallowing around in the mud trying to get to shore. Two animal control officers were waiting on the shore, but had no good way to try to help him. When he finally managed to climb out, he went straight to the officers, who ushered him into a plastic dog crate and hauled him off to the vet. The TV crew were impressed that he knew he needed help and was past being scared of the people or thinking he had to show off how tough he was.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

...and this guy said, "You are close enough!"

_52D3113-Edit.jpg

How close?  Well this is 70mm, not 200mm !  Smiley Wink

EB

lmJustSayin
Contributor

Wow!  Those are all fantastic shots.  Thanks for sharing.

My poor Trail Ridge road shot is a perfect example of why having enough focal length AND getting as close as possible is critical.  The crop below is the part of the image that covered about 20% of the sensor; had I been closer there would have been some really nice detail in this view.  

The subject stayed in this postion for close to a minute and had I used some of that time to improve my postion and setup it would have been a much better shot.  One of the most difficult things I have had to learn is being willing to miss some opportunities in order to get the most out of the situation.  It does mean you will completely miss some photo opportunities but it will also increase the odds of acquiring some really nice images; being patient and putting some thought into the situation means you are now relying more upon thought and skill and less upon pure luck.Trail ridge 2.JPG

Rodger

Announcements