cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested Upgrades from Rebel T2i

lmJustSayin
Contributor
Howdy Folks,

I have finally been progressing with my interest in photography. I am trying to see what direction I should go next as far as camera.

My typical interest is landscapes, wildlife (animals), and the typical action shots of my family and kids. I have been trying to stay around the golden hours for picture time.

Current gear:

Rebel T2i
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS USM L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4-5.6

Would it be worth upgrading at this point to a full frame camera?
39 REPLIES 39

lmJustSayin
Contributor
I appreciate the info everyone. Really helps me open my options. I am just hoping that this new 70-200 gets me out far enough when trying to capture deer/elk.

One thing I have noticed tends to happen on my pictures is they do look blurred. Not sure if that has something to do with IS. Again, I am definitley just getting into photography and have a lot of learning ahead of me.

IS will only help you with camera shake, it makes it easier to get sharp handheld photos particularly with telephoto lenses.  But with wildlife it is ususally the subject itself that is moving and IS won't help with that problem.  So you are back to the exposure triangle of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and to freeze wildlife movement you will have to go with a fairly fast shutter speed which will sometimes force you into a higher ISO than you wish and also forces you to shoot with the aperture near wide open since most wildlife doesn't cooperate by sitting out in the bright sun.  With aperture wide open depth of field decreases so point of optimal focus becomes more critical and you are probably best choosing a single focus point for most wildlife shots unless it is truly moving rapidly making it hard to track with the lens.

90% of my recent shooting has been in an indoor soccer arena and the best overall setting for me is ISO 16,000, shutter 1/500, and aperture F4.0 (the best I can do with my 70-200 F2.8 with the 1.4X extender).  It works pretty well but I would be happier with a little faster shutter speed, the aperture stepped down slightly for more depth of field, and ISO of 6,400 or less (a little better detail and dynamic range).   But the conditions dictate the settings and these are as good as it gets for me until the team moves outside for the regular Spring season. And because I am still getting used to the best settings for capturing and processing images with this new body I am pretty sure there is a lot more capability in the camera than I have gotten out of it thus far.  When compared to some of the action shots I have captured in recent years with my much older Canon 1DM2 it is a little depressing what I have achieved with the 1DX M2 thus far but then I realize that the older body cannot produce usable action images under the lighting conditions and I know I will also get better in utilizing the new camera.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@lmJustSayin wrote:
I appreciate the info everyone. Really helps me open my options. I am just hoping that this new 70-200 gets me out far enough when trying to capture deer/elk.

One thing I have noticed tends to happen on my pictures is they do look blurred. Not sure if that has something to do with IS. Again, I am definitley just getting into photography and have a lot of learning ahead of me.

The 70-200mm f/4 lens is a little short for most wildlife photography. But, if you're shooting big game, maybe not. It really depends upon how close you can get. Raising your shutter speed might be the cure for blurry images. I have not seen them.

I am not a fan of creeping up on big beasts in the wild. I have seen what a bull moose can do to the front of car with one hit.  Cracked the radiator. Made a real big mess, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@lmJustSayin wrote:
Howdy Folks,

I have finally been progressing with my interest in photography. I am trying to see what direction I should go next as far as camera.

My typical interest is landscapes, wildlife (animals), and the typical action shots of my family and kids. I have been trying to stay around the golden hours for picture time.

Current gear:

Rebel T2i
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS USM L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4-5.6

Since I actually faced the same question two years age, I might as well weigh in. I figured my wife was ready for an upgrade to her T2i, and I was (and am) down on Rebels because they don't have AFMA. A FF camera was out of the question, because she has back problems and is sensitive to a camera's weight. But I wanted a professional-quality camera that wouldn't go obsolete soon. So I bought her a 7D Mk II, which has worked out well. She already had the right walkaround lens, the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, and enough other APS-C lenses to cover most contingencies, so lenses weren't a consideration.

Just another data point, for what it's worth.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Did this camera work well for her.  I am in the same boat.  I have a Canon t2i but am wanting to upgrade.

@teach1960 wrote:

Did this camera work well for her.  I am in the same boat.  I have a Canon t2i but am wanting to upgrade.

Yes, she's been very happy with [the 7D Mark II]. She'd prefer that it weren't quite so heavy, but the quality of her pictures went up when she started using it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I am in the same boat."

I love the Canon 7 series but be aware the 7's are much heavier and larger than the Rebels.  Metal vs plastic!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

coachboz68
Enthusiast

@lmJustSayin wrote:
Howdy Folks,

Having recently been through this for myself, my friend, and my daughter, here was my thought process.  

First, I bought a 7D in late 2009 (or early 2010... can't remember exactly) and just recently upgraded to the 1DXII.  I did get sucked into the whole mirrorless debate, but ultimately stayed with Canon because of the great glass they make that I already owned.  The two primary ones I use are the 24-70 2.8 L and the 70-200 2.8 L.  The 24-70 has become my workhorse lens for general family stuff.  The 70-200 is for the sports I shoot (gymnastics, volleyball, and football).

When I moved to the 1DXII (FF) I did not miss the length for indoor sports, but for football, I definitely missed it, so will get the 1.4X converter.  Losing the f-stops at night games will require the higher ISO that I get in the 1DXII, which compared to my old 7D is beyond comparison.  

Because the cameras you are going to be looking at are mostly all really good in and of themselves, I recommend you ask yourself the question of what do you love the most, then optimze for that.  For me, its fast action sports shooting (which often happens in low light) which made my decision easier.  Of course, budget matters, and for this purchase I decided to self justify it (lie to myself! 😉 by looking at the lifetime investment. 

If it's fast moving wildlife you're after, and you don't want the heavy price tag of the 1DXII, I'd at least take a look at the 7DII.  But if it's largely sedentary wildlife, then you should optimize for that (I don't have great experience there as I do fast-moving stuff mostly).  Point is, if you can narrow down what you really LOVE, it might be a little easier to optimize for the body.  

As others have stated, you can never go wrong with great lenses on any body!  

Good luck.  

Coach,

You will find that the 70-200 2.8 is so sharp that it is also very usable with the Canon 2X converter.  Of course this loses two full stops which will be a problem with poorly lit night games but will provide the extra reach during day games and well lighted events.  I have shot quite a few outside soccer games using the 70-200 2.8 and 2X combo with my old 1D Mark II body.  Having the 1.4X and 2.0X adds a lot of versatility to the compatible Canon telephoto primes and zoom lenses and the 2.0X gives me a little more freedom in choosing my placement when shooting outdoor matches under good light.  

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks. I'm going to rent them both for a few games and see how it goes.
Announcements