Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strawberry Moon

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_52D3346-Edit.jpg

A Strawberry Moon is the name given to a full Moon that occurs on the Summer Solstice.
On June 20, 2016, for the first time in 50 years a Strawberry Moon will happen on the Summer Solstice. The last time this happened was in 1967. This means that the Moon will be directly opposite of the Sun.
The next time the Summer Solstice and a Strawberry Moon will fall on the same day will be June 21, 2062. This is my last chance to see one so enjoy!

Actually shot in the early morning AM hours of the 21st.  EOS 1D Mk IV with Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon. 600mm, f6.3, 1/125. ISO 1600. All the while dodging the clouds!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Great picture!

I would say that the only time that the moon is directly opposite of the sun is during a lunar eclipse.

And during a solstice.  The Sun would have to be directly on the opposite side of the Earth for an eclipse. Obviously it isn't in this photo.  Technically, the Summer Solstice is the exact instant of time when the Sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer.

EB

hey Biggs,

great photo!  You could have told us this was going to happen so we could have at least looked at it!   lol

I got to see the Blood Moon last year, didn't own a camera then, but would have been great to try to get on of that too!

I've never heart of a strawberry moon....whats the difference?  I thought a blood moon was when the planets were all lined up, opposite of the sun, hence the red color, but thats what u said was the strawberry moon, so now, once again, I am easily confused!  Can you please explain the difference, if you know.  If not it's okay, I am just curious.   

Really a great shot!  Good Job!

Liz

A strawberry moon is just when you get a full moon at the same time as the summer solstice.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/20/summer-solstice-strawberry-moon/

http://www.snopes.com/2015/09/27/blood-moon/

oh ok, thx kv.  It's really cool, sorry I missed it.

Liz,

A Blood Moon and a Strawberry Moon are not the same thing.  A Strawberry Moon doesn't even have to be reddish. It is alos called a Rose Moon, Mead Moon, and Honey Moon.  All are the same thing.  June 20, the Summer Solstice, is the longest day of the year (2016). The Sun will reach its highest peak at 6:34pm ET on that day. The Strawberry Moon is a beautiful, amber color. It gets this color fro the same reasons that a Sunset is reddish.

A Bllod Moon is a total lunar eclipse.  It has the direct sunlight completely blocked by the Earth's shadow. Again it looks red for the same reason that the sunset looks red.  Because of that reddish color, it is called a Blood Moon.

full to red.jpg

There will be a Winter solstice and there are two equinoxes.

EB

Hi Biggs,

thanks for that explanation.  Soooooo COOL!  I knew it was the solstice, and knew it was a full moon, but never EVER heard of a strawberry moon before.  Never knew it existed or was a thing.  Now that I know it's a thing, I'll have to read the farmers almanac a little closer...pay closer attention.  Doubt I'll be around for the next one, but the other equinox's will be something to watch for.  

Very nice pics Biggs.  Thanks for sharing.

Liz 

@fatcat wrote:

Hi Biggs,

thanks for that explanation.  Soooooo COOL!  I knew it was the solstice, and knew it was a full moon, but never EVER heard of a strawberry moon before.  Never knew it existed or was a thing.  Now that I know it's a thing, I'll have to read the farmers almanac a little closer...pay closer attention.  Doubt I'll be around for the next one, but the other equinox's will be something to watch for.  

Very nice pics Biggs.  Thanks for sharing.

Liz 

One of the Boston TV stations said the other day that one of the northeastern Indian tribes gave it the name "Strawberry Moon" because it coincides with strawberry season. I won't vouch for the correctness of that explanation; but strawberry plants in this area do start to produce in June, so it's at least plausible.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements