cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange glitch/image errors with 6D

kamerakind
Apprentice

6d_error-1.jpg

It's the second time within 2 weeks that one of my 6D's spits out something like you see above. Anybody ever saw this and have an idea what to do? Probably the sd card have a problem? Is my sensor about to die? Any help is appreciated. Thanks folks!

9 REPLIES 9

ScottyP
Authority

I would certainly suspect the SD card first.  Do you have more than one?  If it happens on multiple cards of course it suggests another problem may be the culprit. 

Try doing a full reformat of the card (after your photos are all uploaded somewhere, as reformatting will delete them).

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes, I have 8 SD cards. All from one manufacturer, which makes it hard to "recreate" that error. They get reformated before every job I do so that not might fix it. Maybe I'll sort that one out which had the above image on it and will see whether the error recurrs.

@kamerakind wrote:

Yes, I have 8 SD cards. All from one manufacturer, which makes it hard to "recreate" that error. They get reformated before every job I do so that not might fix it. Maybe I'll sort that one out which had the above image on it and will see whether the error recurrs.

When you format the cards be sure you do a low level format, and not just a quick format.

"Maybe I'll sort that one out which had the above image on it and will see whether the error recurrs."

Maybe?  Smiley Frustrated  Scott is correct.  You need to get rid of the bad card.  There is no, "maybe"!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

So assuming your camera doesn't have a menu option that says "Randomly corrupt my images?" and it's set to "Yes" I'm guessing that you have a flakey memory card.

Do you number (or somehow identify uniquely) each of your cards?  In other words... is it possible to determine if this keeps happening with the same one card or does it randly occur with any card?

There are several good brands for cards, but you'd want to make sure you have a genuine card and not a counterfeit (they're out there).  To avoid getting a counterfeit, you'd want to make sure you buy cards from authorized dealers.

TTMartin pointed out that when do format the cards, check the "Low Level" box.  That should perform a "write" to each block on the card and verify that the write & readback succeeds without error and it will mark bad blocks if it encounters them. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hiram
Apprentice
Hi kamerakind, I have the same problem! Do you already found a solution? And my 6d shows me a message on the screen saying "Cannot playback image" and that image in the computer looks like yours. And when this occurs the camera freezes.

Strangely, the previews of the corrupted images are fine on my 6d. I formated my sd-cards on low level like the other users recommended and up to this day, don't saw this error again. so maybe it really has to do with bad/corrupted/fragmented sd-cards.

@kamerakind wrote:

Strangely, the previews of the corrupted images are fine on my 6d. I formated my sd-cards on low level like the other users recommended and up to this day, don't saw this error again. so maybe it really has to do with bad/corrupted/fragmented sd-cards.

The fact that the images don't appear corrupted in the camera doesn't tell you much, because what you're looking at is an embedded low-res JPEG that is incorporated into all RAW images to make it possible to see the image without decoding the RAW data. In addition to providing the in-camera display, that makes it easy for the operating system to generate and display thumbnails. Unless the part of the image containing the JPEG were corrupted, the display in the camera would look normal. What's more telling is that the problem may have been solved by a low-level format. That does indeed point to a bad card as the likely culprit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hiram
Apprentice
So the problem is with the sd card, I thought it was with the sensor, because also when I put the camera in liveview mode, appears a lot of points and lines on the screen and then freezes And if I took the photo looks like kamerakind one
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements