cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Lens on Canon body

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience using Sony lenses on Canon body?

I am thinking of getting a Sony 200-600mm G series lens to use with my Canon 5Ds. 

The intent here is to one day slowly moving to Sony platform, or perhaps, use Sony for Bird photography and stay with Canon for other use cases.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You would have to get an adapter, and unless the adapter has a glass element, you will probably lose infinity focus - not a good thing for birding.

It would be better to get a Tamron or sigma 150-600 for the Canon and enquire with the mfg as to whether they can convert it to Sony G mount for a fee.

Thank you for answering my question.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by the adapter has a glass element? Per my understanding, there are adapters for Canon lenses to be used with Sony's body. In fact, I have seen a number of videos on Youtube that suggested great performance for the mentioned configuration.

I am curious if there are similar configurations/adapter for Sony's lenses to be used with Canon's body.

Thanks.

It is the difference of going DSLR->mirrorless. You want to go mirrorless->DSLR.

Thank you for the clarification. I have not thought of that.

It sounds like there is not such an adaptor that would allow you to connect a mirrorless lens to a DSLR body.

Thanks again.

I have not seen one, most of the ones you see when you google are to allow for EOS lenses on other bodies. I think that says something about Canon glass.

In addition to providing the appropriate bayonet mount, lens adapters correct for the varying flange distances from one manufacturer to the next.  The link below explains flange distance very well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance 

Because DSLRs need the extra distance to allow for clearance of the mirror, as a general rule, DSLRs tend to have much longer flange distances than their mirrorless counterparts.  Adapting a DSLR lens to a mirrorless body is mostly a matter of adding a spacer to increase the distance to the image sensor.

Adapting a mirrorless lens to a DSLR body invariably means that you need to decrease the flange distance.  This is usually realized through optics in the lens adapter, which decreases image quality.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is not just a bad idea it is a horrible idea.  The two lenses don't even work the same way. In essence they don't speak the same language. Any FL mismatch would be a minor issue compared to that.

And, maybe on top of the list of why it is a bad idea, why would you want to leave a company, Canon, that makes the worlds best lenses for a company that doesn't.

Either of the choices, Tamron or Sigma C, 150-600mm super zooms is a better way to go. If you want a lens more in line with the big Sony 200-600mm check out the Sigma S version of the150-600mm. I do not know if they can later be converted to Sony but I  am pretty sure the Tamron G2 can be.  A factory conversion, not DIY.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements