cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something moved during my night sky shot

Bigshot
Apprentice

Hello,

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 10.02.25 AM.pngI recently want to learn night photography of the sky. I had my first experience but the results were disappointing. I have a Canon 5D Mark IV with 24-105mm 4L Canon lens. Here are the settings for my photo. Manual mode, exposure 25 s, aperture F4.0, ISO Auto. When I examine my photo (below), I found that something was moving during this long exposure but I have no clue where to look and correct. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks for the insight. Your image shows uniform streak for the stars but mine is not. Could this due to that your focal length is 150mm and relatively speaking, 15 s is way too long as compared to my 24 mm adn 30 s exposure (using the 500 rule)? As a result, I see dots but you see uniform streak? What was your ISO settimg?

View solution in original post

@Bigshot wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Your image shows uniform streak for the stars but mine is not. Could this due to that your focal length is 150mm and relatively speaking, 15 s is way too long as compared to my 24 mm adn 30 s exposure (using the 500 rule)? As a result, I see dots but you see uniform streak? What was your ISO settimg?

According to the "500 Rule", you should have used a 20 second exposure, not 30 seconds.

You are looking at star streaks.  That is why you stars have trails, and the star trails are uniform.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Love the Delta plane shot. Smiley Happy

Thank you, Sir! The right place at the right time, which is basically the story of my life. But I never tell anyone that... Ooops Smiley Surprised

This is what I was shooting. They have about a 4' wingspan and are just spectacular to watch. They migrate through and to our area in the spring and fall from South America. Late evening, so the lighting was tough to deal with, but that is why we do this Smiley Happy

Swallow-tailed Kite

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Love the Delta plane shot. Smiley Happy

Thank you, Sir! The right place at the right time, which is basically the story of my life. But I never tell anyone that... Ooops Smiley Surprised

Come to my house.  There's a Delta jet overhead about twice per minute (I live below the approach for the center runway for the main airport.). <sigh>

If there is *any* upside to this pandemic... it's that fewer planes are landing and departing and I can actually have a converstion on my back patio without being drowned out by the jets overhead every 20 seconds.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Come to my house.  There's a Delta jet overhead about twice per minute (I live below the approach for the center runway for the main airport.). <sigh>

If there is *any* upside to this pandemic... it's that fewer planes are landing and departing and I can actually have a converstion on my back patio without being drowned out by the jets overhead every 20 seconds.

Smiley LOL I hear that! Fortunately, I live about 20 miles from Jacksonville International but still get low traffic to and from Miami and Orlando. Then to the west about 5 miles there is the Naval Air Station, but I am about 2 miles north of their normal flight path. Still we occasionally get fighters roaring over, helos, and the huge transports like the C-130 Hercules. I shoot them when I get a chance.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Most folks complain about airport noise. Funny thing about airports, and not to minimise your noisy conditions, but most time in today's airport construction they choose a place far away from populated areas. People than complain that the airport is too far or long of a drive to get to. Then housing construction and urban sprawl fills in around them. Then folks start to again complain about airport noise.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Most folks complain about airport noise. Funny thing about airports, and not to minimise your noisy conditions, but most time in today's airport construction they choose a place far away from populated areas. People than complain that the airport is too far or long of a drive to get to. Then housing construction and urban sprawl fills in around them. Then folks start to again complain about airport noise.

In 1964-65 I lived in an apartment in Boston that was in one of the takeoff patterns of Logan Airport (which was maybe four or five miles away, so the planes that flew over hadn't gained much altitude). If you weren't around then, you can't imagine how much louder commercial aircraft were then than they are now. Apparently it's due to engine efficiency; modern engines manage to put less of their energy into producing sound waves.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That's the way JIA is. I'm roughly 20 miles away, but it takes 40 minutes to get there, then additional time to do what you have to do, parking, shuttles, etc. Mostly motels, hotels, and shuttle services around it. As for the Naval Airstation, I like to shoot the aircraft and the only time it gets annoying is when the Blue Angels practice over my house, but that only happens 2 or 3 times a year. Non the less, I still step out into the yard and snap away Smiley LOL

Announcements