cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some problems with my brand new 7d Mark II

Nette
Apprentice

Hey there!

I've got some problems with my 7D Mark II.
While just 1 hour ago it was working perfectly fine, now there are some things not working anymore (I was just trying out some settings, so it could be that I accidenitely changed something ?):

- When pressing the shutter, the camera doesn't really react (it doesn't take any photos)
- Playback photos doesn't work --> gives black screen (while I took some photos on the card)

- When switching it to Live video shooting --> screen is black (almost like the aperture doesn't open)

I tried switching it on/off, removed card & battery, removed lense, tried with another lens, but I can just not take any photos anymore.

Could anybody please help me?

Thanks,
Nette

10 REPLIES 10

@Nette wrote:

Hey there!

While just 1 hour ago it was working perfectly fine, now there are some things not working anymore (I was just trying out some settings, so it could be that I accidenitely changed something ?):

- When pressing the shutter, the camera doesn't really react (it doesn't take any photos)
- Playback photos doesn't work --> gives black screen (while I took some photos on the card)

- When switching it to Live video shooting --> screen is black (almost like the aperture doesn't open)

I tried switching it on/off, removed card & battery, removed lense, tried with another lens, but I can just not take any photos anymore.

Thanks,
Nette

Reset the camera to factory settings. The instruction manual will tell you how to do that. You'll find it in the box the camera came in. A version of the manual (often more detailed than the one in the box) can also be found on the Canon Web site.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your previous camera and what made you choose a 7D Mark II this time?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank RobertTheFat!
I already did that, but it doesn't work.

I have a Canon 550D and I just really wanted a more advanced camera for action shots (I usually use my camera for extreme sports) and the 7D looked like the best match for me (budget-wise). 

@Nette wrote:

Thank RobertTheFat!
I already did that, but it doesn't work.

I have a Canon 550D and I just really wanted a more advanced camera for action shots (I usually use my camera for extreme sports) and the 7D looked like the best match for me (budget-wise). 

Sounds like you chose it for the right reasons. It isn't a simple camera, but learning to use it well is worth the effort.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you unmount any lenses, do you still have problems playing back photos? 

Do you have another memory card that you can try?  I suggest a new memory card [only full size cards, no micro-SD], and be sure to perform a low level format in the camera on the new card.  I recommend using a SanDisk or Lexar card, 32GB or smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am going to guess a stuck mirror. You might want to call Canon. Make sure to do it before the warranty runs out.

You don't have it on 'B' mode do you?

Thanks everybody!

I called the shop that I bought it from, while it was brand new, they said I should send it back to them, so they could just send a new one. 

Hope the new one doesn't have the problem 🙂 

This is easy to validate visually. 

Set the camera to Manual exposure mode.  Dial in an exposure time (shutter speed) of 1 second.

Remove the lens (so you can see into the front of the body.

Take an exposure while looking into the front of the camera.

You should visually see the reflex mirror swing up (snap up -- because it happens very quickly) and the shutter (a series of overlaping "blades" - sort of like a set of blinds) should open and close.  There are technically two sets of these and it will all happen so fast that it'll probably look as if the shutter just disappeared.  But the main thing is that you want to verify that the reflex mirrors were able to swing clear and the shutter blades also completely opened for the shot.

Here's a video explaining what you should see -- but the video is in extreme slow motion (this was done with an original 7D, not the Mk II, but the shutters are DSLRs all work similarly.)

The image you would have just taken will just appear to be a white frame (since there is no lens on the camera it can't focus anything) but the camera will still record the image and it should not be black.

If all that works, then the problem is likely something else.  But if any of that doesn't work, the camera body should be swapped since it's a brand new camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Nette wrote:

Hey there!

Thanks,
Nette

There are at least 4 different places you need to reset the camera back to it's default settings.

Clear all camera settings

clear camera settings.JPG

Clear all Custom Func (C.Fn)

clear custom function.JPG

Custom Controls - Default Set

custom controls.JPG

Custom shooting mode (C  mode) - Clear settings

custom shooting mode.JPG

Thank TTMartin for your reply!

I did it all, but it's still not working... 😞

Announcements