cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Newb Questions - 6D Mk II

kenstjohn
Contributor

Greetings!!

After 40+ years in another system, I decided to shake things up a bit and move 100% to Canon.  So far, so good. I'm really impressed with the 6D Mk II and find it to produce images far better than I was led to believe by so-called Internet experts!!

I do have a couple of newbie questions, and I'm sure there will be many more to come as I learn this new system!!

1)  When I look at images in Aperture (yeah, I'm a dinosaur!!), the EXIF data is showing "Manual Focus" for all of my images even though I'm 100% sure I was using Auto Focus.  Although my camera is new, I did save a few $$ by getting high quality used copies of the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4.  Just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with this showing up in the EXIF.  (The images themselves are tack sharp so I'm sure the AF was actually working.)

2)  I do sometimes like to use bracketing for HDR images.  I usually use a three shot set -2, 0, +2.  Is there a way to save that setting somewhere to make it easier/quicker to engage vs using the Menu on the touch screen?  My previous camera had a +/- button that engaged that sequence quickly and I am missing that.

Those are my most buring "issues" so far ... Smiley Happy

I am sure there will be more!

Thanks in advance...

Ken

Livin' in the Great Northwest!!
Canon 6D Mk II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4
7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Page 510 of the manual (if you don't have the PDF manual download it from Canon site)

I think you should be able to set up the C1 or C2 function to save your AEB setting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Aperture is not by Canon and it may not understand all the EXIF data, though Apple tried their best. Try DPP.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Page 510 of the manual (if you don't have the PDF manual download it from Canon site)

I think you should be able to set up the C1 or C2 function to save your AEB setting.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Aperture is not by Canon and it may not understand all the EXIF data, though Apple tried their best. Try DPP.

Agree with both recommendations.  Try Custom settings menu for desired bumps in exposure and use DPP to get proper EXIF data from your photos. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kenstjohn
Contributor

Thanks for the help!! Turns out ... #1 (lens data) does show up OK in Canon's software so all's well. I was worried something may be wrong with the lens ... it's not.

#2 Good suggestions ... and I also found the exposure slider on the "Q" button can also be used to set the AEB. Doesn't seem to be able to be "saved" to make the process quicker, but it is a lot shorter than I was trying before!!

Gotta say ... when I was shopping for cameras, the 6D2 got a lot of negative comments on IQ. I say ... bunk!! I'm getting terrific images that are clearly equal to my previous camera (D750).

Cheers!!

Ken

@kenstjohn wrote:

Thanks for the help!! Turns out ... #1 (lens data) does show up OK in Canon's software so all's well. I was worried something may be wrong with the lens ... it's not.

#2 Good suggestions ... and I also found the exposure slider on the "Q" button can also be used to set the AEB. Doesn't seem to be able to be "saved" to make the process quicker, but it is a lot shorter than I was trying before!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Are you looking for AEB, or AEC?  Automatic Exposure Bracketing, or Automatic Exposure Compensation?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Check your manual. There may be an option for AEB to be “sticky” or cancel after three shots.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kenstjohn
Contributor
I’m using AEB. Exposure bracketing. For eventuL merging as HDR. I’ve looked at the HDR in camera and think I prefer the post processing solution to the in camera version.

Ken
Announcements