cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So a final thought on 80d...

DDKusz
Apprentice
Hello everyone! Greetings from a newbie 🙂

I've read several posts on 80d here and saw many complaints on the 80d and also many great reviews. I'm intensely researching via this forum and others, youtube reviews, etc and self debating on what to get (driving me nuts especially since I'm the queen of indecisiveness).

I currently own a t3i rebel, the kit lens it came with 18-55, 55-250, 50mm, and most recently the Tamron dc vi ii 18-400 (which i really like). I was torn between the 80d and 7dMK2 mainly because they're crop sensor and the lenses I own (except 50mm) are all for the crop type camera. Eventually down the road I would absolutely love to go FF (5dm3). So I wouldn't want to invest on any further (aps-c) lenses unless it will be compatible with a FF sensor.

So.... my question is for 80d past/present owners, 2 years after the release of the 80d (and I understand a rumor of 90d is expected soon), how do you like it? Hate it? Avoid it? Or go for it? 7dMK2 - yay or nay?

My main reason for upgrading from the t3i is the 3 fps vs the 7dMK2 at 10 and 80 at 7 (or 8). I miss THE shot of my boys or its blurred, I need auto focus. Also, I strongly believe that with the Tamron 18-400 lens (f/3.5-6.5?), it would work more efficiently on a newer camera that has a somewhat faster processor. Is this correct?

As far as pictures go, I'm not a professional but understand the basics. I'm reading and learning and have found the responses in this particular forum EXTREMELY informative and supportive!! So many thanks in advance. I'm a mom of 3 active boys in outdoor/indoor soccer among other things. I also enjoy shooting landscape and wildlife but not necessarily birds in flight. And of course portraits of my boys and extended family. I wouldn't mind in the far future doing portraits as a hobby for others but right now it's just family pictures.

As far as shooting wise, I have now understood the difference between raw vs jpeg (thanks to many contributors on here who have explained very well). I shoot on jpeg with the soccer games since I do not have the time to sit through and process. But I would consider shooting in raw + jpeg. Is it worth it though?

I much appreciate the time on reading this. Any further info, references to webs, resources are greatly appreciated. I have also seen many of Tony Northrup videos on youtube. Any other reputable sources? Thanks in advance.
Debora
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StanNH
Rising Star

My 80D is better than I am.

it replaced a very nice T6S.  Excellent viewfinder, generous battery life, good dynamic range, excellent AF system, a tilt touch screen, user friendly menus, and a relatively compact body ... I am quite happy with this 80D and find it to be an easy camera to recommend to others.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Johnw1
Enthusiast

For me my 80D is perfect. I chose it for the image quality and that it is in many ways a general purpose camera. I like the touch plus articulating view screen and the over all feel of it. I considered the 7D M2 but it was missing the 80Ds touch screen. The 7D Mark 3 may be the winner if comes out with the 80Ds screen. However I think of the 7DM2 as mort for fast action such as sports or birds in flight. That said I think for the money the 80D is the best value of any DSLR on the market today. 

nitinsingh81
Apprentice

If you are using any lens with an aperture greator than 5.6, these cameras will not track your kids while playing soccer. You will manually need to focus. 

That said, 80D is better sharp on static subjects, but 7D is better on tracking (dual pixel AF, dual processor and more auto focus).

Test out each at store and if possible, rent out for a day to get an actual feeler. Touch screen is ok for still or video focussing but not for tracking in soccer. For game shots, a lens like 300F4 IS or 400 F5.6 is great to go (also compliant with your future desire of full frame

@nitinsingh81 wrote:

If you are using any lens with an aperture greator than 5.6, these cameras will not track your kids while playing soccer. You will manually need to focus. 

That said, 80D is better sharp on static subjects, but 7D is better on tracking (dual pixel AF, dual processor and more auto focus).

Test out each at store and if possible, rent out for a day to get an actual feeler. Touch screen is ok for still or video focussing but not for tracking in soccer. For game shots, a lens like 300F4 IS or 400 F5.6 is great to go (also compliant with your future desire of full frame

The touch screen is not just for video. I use it all the time for setting up my 80D. Also Canon says it can auto focus down to f8. 

@nitinsingh81 wrote:

The 80D actually has 27 AF points capable of focusing at f/8.  In fact, it tracks better than a 7D Mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@nitinsingh81 wrote:

You mean an aperture smaller or an F number greater. An aperture greater than f 5.6 would be f4 or f2.8 etc. The word aperture refers to the opening that the light goes through not the number.

Small / narrow aperture = Large F number

Large / wide aperture = Small F number

StanNH
Rising Star

My 80D is better than I am.

it replaced a very nice T6S.  Excellent viewfinder, generous battery life, good dynamic range, excellent AF system, a tilt touch screen, user friendly menus, and a relatively compact body ... I am quite happy with this 80D and find it to be an easy camera to recommend to others.

Ray-uk
Whiz

@DDKusz wrote:
. I miss THE shot of my boys or its blurred, I need auto focus. Also, I strongly believe that with the Tamron 18-400 lens (f/3.5-6.5?), it would work more efficiently on a newer camera that has a somewhat faster processor. Is this correct?

It is difficult to say whether the Tamron will work more efficiently with a newer camera. If you have more fps then the camera has to work harder between shots to correct any focus changes, obviously it has to do this faster with more fps than with your current camera and this will depend a lot on the capabilities of the AF drive system in the lens.

If your action shots are blurred then it may not be AF that is struggling, it could be that you need to use a faster shutter speed.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Or go for it? 7dMK2 - yay or nay?"

I don't own an 80D, played with a couple, but I have had several of the 7 series.  And, it gets my "yay".  However, I like the very much better build of the 7 series which sways my opinion.  Otherwise I really doubt you could tell a difference in output.

"I currently own a t3i rebel, ..."

If you were satisfied with your Rebel let me suggest you look at the newest Rebel T7i.  Major upgrade over the T3i.

"I strongly believe that with the Tamron 18-400 lens (f/3.5-6.5?), it would work more efficiently on a newer camera that has a somewhat faster processor. Is this correct?"

Maybe, maybe not. The Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD has an extreme focal range. And, because of that and it is, lets say a less expensive lens, is never going to have great performance.  AF or IQ wise no matter what camera you own.  You buy the Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD for the convenience and for that it serves very well.

" I'm a mom of 3 active boys in outdoor/indoor soccer among other things."

Just think how nice it will be later one, maybe way later, you can look back and remember with the photos and memories you captured.

"I would consider shooting in raw + jpeg. Is it worth it though?"

Absolutely.  How's this for a reason. 100% of pros use Raw.  Why?  Do they know something you don't?  No, they just want the best results possible.  The Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD has excessive amounts of CA.  Raw and most any post editor can make it go away.  I like Lightroom and Photoshop but there are 'others'.  Raw is virtually a given any more since most editors process it in the import.  You don't have to do a thing.  The reason a jpg is so much smaller than a Raw file is the conversion procedure from Raw to jpg deletes information from you photo.  You can never get it back.  It is gone forever.  So, what if you needed that info to correct for some bad CA?  You can't because it's in the trash can.

" I wouldn't mind in the far future doing portraits as a hobby for others but right now it's just family pictures."

You will use Raw then!  You will post edit.  Or, you will have second rate portraits.  Easy choice, right?

"I have also seen many of Tony Northrup videos..."

The is OK but he is not the end all.  He has a business to run which makes money.  This runs on need, if there is no need there is no money.  Don't believe everything you see or read off the ole inner web.  Even here, kido.  Bottom line any or all the cameras mentioned will make great photos.  My preference would be the 7D Mk II and put FF on hold for now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, I might add just a little tid bit.  AF is largely a factor of the lens.  Probably more so than the camera.  It is the lens that focuses not the camera.  The Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD will never be a speed demon in AF.  Something that may help more is to pre-focus the lens.  Get it close manually first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements