cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Write on Canon 70D

khaslag
Contributor

I recently tried to capture a set of astroimages at 15 sec. intervals over a period of 1.5 hrs (using an  intervalorometer). I should have captured nearly 560 images. But when I downloaded the images to Bridge there were only 210. Looking at the Bridge information there is an additional 18 sec between the Date Created date/time and the Modified date/time. This 18 sec. per image accounts for the difference between the expected number and the actual number. But where does it come from and how can I account for it in the Intervalorometer settings.

Canon 70D

SDXC-I 64GB SD card

ISO 1600

~25MB per image

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tried reformatting the card and that solved the problem. I'll probably purchase a new one as added insurance.  Thanks for all the help - really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum khaslag.

What intervalomter were you using?

What were the camera and intervalomtere settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Intervalorometer was a Phottix Taimi digital timer and remote

Delay = 0

Long = 15 (sec.)

Intvl = 1 sec.

N1=1

Repeat=99

N2 not set

Also: Camera settings

ISO 1600

Exp=15 sec.

Manual Mode

Manual focus

RAW

LENR=Off

HISO Speed NR = Off

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Doubke check the instructions for the intervalometer. For my three Canon cameras the camera needs to be in Bulb mode when using an intervalometer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I took the timer out of the equation and just shot 30" in Manual Mode. The same results - it took 30 sec. to write a 30MB image to the card. I tried variations in ISO, shutter speed etc. and it appears it takes the same amount of time to write to the card as the image size (i.e. 1MB/s write speed!). Not a problem with faster shutter speeds but can be impactful for multiple long exposure astroimaging like skyscapes or meteor capture.

Do you have any in-camera processing activated?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@khaslag wrote:

I took the timer out of the equation and just shot 30" in Manual Mode. The same results - it took 30 sec. to write a 30MB image to the card. I tried variations in ISO, shutter speed etc. and it appears it takes the same amount of time to write to the card as the image size (i.e. 1MB/s write speed!). Not a problem with faster shutter speeds but can be impactful for multiple long exposure astroimaging like skyscapes or meteor capture.

John is correct about using Bulb mode.  What brand of card are you using?  It sounds like it could use a reformatting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As suggested try reformatting card in camera. 

If that doesn't work try a new card. The 70D should be writing much faster than you are seeing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tried reformatting the card and that solved the problem. I'll probably purchase a new one as added insurance.  Thanks for all the help - really appreciate it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements