cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent mode at the expence of sharpness

knas
Apprentice

Hi.

Has anybody discovered reduction in sharpness when shooting in silent mode?

24-105 Canon zoomlens. Handheld, with no anti-shake and shutter time = 160. When shooting in silent mode, sharpness is not as good as when shot in normal mode.

Try zooming max in on a structured surface and compare...

/Kim.

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

No, if anything it should be the opposite.  I don't necessarily believe that, but many claim the reduction in 'mirror slap' reduces shake and thus sharper images.

I'm guessing that the number 1 use of silent mode is weddings, and if it compromised sharpness nobody would ever use it.  Which camera are you using?

Hey.

I'm using 5D mark III

I'm a bit dissapointed with the sharpness. I have checked that focus is OK, - that it don't need micro ajustment. I just can't figure out why it's not sharp as a knife... I just noticed a difference in sharpness on the same scene when switching between silent and normal mode.

diverhank
Authority

I also use a 5D3 and love the silent mode...I have not seen any degradation in sharpness at all.  The only drawback is you can't shoot as fast.  As a matter of fact, I'm having problems with pictures being too sharp using my 5D3 + 24-70mm f/2.8L II combo in silent mode (and I'm only half kidding :)).

Have you checked and see if there's anything causing you to move the camera more than normal when shooting in silent mode versus non-silent mode?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

No, I have no idea as to what should be causing me to move more with silent-shutter. Well. Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to see if others could recognize my claim.

I think I'm on a side-track here. It must be a coincidence that I've had some better shots without silent-shutter.

I am on the side of it either makes no difference or it is better in Silent Mode. Certainly it is not worse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements