cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D Shutter stuck

skol
Apprentice

I have a 60D and and when I try to take a picture in manual mode, I can set the shutter for proper exopures as indicated by the live exposure meter. However, when I take the picture, no matter the shutter setting, the shutter stays open the same amount of time, everytime, which is very slow. The result is a very overexposed picture. In other words, my shutter is stuck in slow speed and I can't figure out why. What am I missing?

7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
The shutter does open and close by itself without you needing to intervene?

What mode are you using (e.g. 'auto', program, manual, etc.?) And if in a manual or semi-manual mode, what settings are you using?

Have you tried using the option to clear camera settings?
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority

What do you mean it stays open the same slow amount of time everytime?  What time is that?  What does the data read was the shutter speed when you review the photos?  Is it truly always the same speed, or are you saying it just sounjds slow?

There's no way you are tallking about the camera automatically reducing a fast exposure down to 1/200th to match your flash's sync speed when you have your flash on, right?  Does this problem happen both with flash and without flash?

The fact that this only happens in Manual mode tells us that your shutter is not stuck.  It is something in the settings you are using. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

amfoto1
Authority

Not sure if this will help....

How familiar are you with using the 60D in M mode? Are you new to the camera or to using it in M mode?

It sounds to me as if you might be setting something incorrectly. It can be easy to set incorrectly by accident.

In M mode, the top dial (right behind the shutter release button) changes the shutter speed.

If there are ' ' symbols showing on the top LCD, then you are shooting 0.3 second or slower speeds and need to turn the dial a long way to get to the faster shutter speeds. For example 8 means 1/8 second, but  8 ' ' means eight seconds. And 30 means 1/30 second, while 30 ' ' means thirty seconds. Etc.

Plus, if the camera is set to automatically do Long Exposure Noise Reduction, it will try to take a second "blank" shot immediately afterward. That's used to analyze for noise that will be subtracted from the "real" image. This second exposure takes exactly the same amount of time as the first one. So a 15 second exposure will take 30 seconds total, or a 30 second exposure will take a bull minute, if Long Exposure NR is turned on.Oh, and if you cancel the second exposure while it's being taken, both images will be discarded.  

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

skol
Apprentice

Thanks for the help everyone and trying to help me figure this out.  I'm familiar with the shutter settings in Manual mode and know how to set the proper shutter speed.  If I'm in live shooting and the proper exposure is set, for example, shutter 250.  The histogram & exposure meter are right where I want it.  When I take the picture, it's always overexposed as if the shutter is staying open longer than it was set.  I've tried at multiple shutter speeds up and down the dial from 1" to 1000.  The end result is always an overexposed picture.  The histogram in playback confirms two completely different results:  The one live, before the picture, and the one after.  And the data in playback still indicates the same shutter setting is was set for.

Oh, and another thing which may be an important bit of information.  It's not a canon lense.  It's a Rokinon cinestyle prime 24mm lense, which after writing that made me realize I just may have answered my own question.

"It's a Rokinon cinestyle prime 24mm lens"

That might explain it.... That lens is full manual aperture control only, in addition to manual focus only.

In order to arrive at a "correct" exposure metering with the camera through that lens, you need to use "match needle" method, where you stop the lens down and change the shutter speed and/or ISO to move the indicator to the center of the scale (either on the camera's top LCD screen or in the viewfinder).

Once set you can open the lens back up if needed for focusing, but have to manually stop it back down the the pre-determined setting before taking the shot.

If you are already doing that, you might check the lens to be sure the aperture is actually stopping down. They do fail or stick, sometimes.

You also should be able to use the camera set to Av exposure mode with that lens.... The camera then will select the correct shutter speed for you, after you have stopped the lens down. You might give it a try and compare with your results in M exposure mode. (Tv and P exposure modes will not work with that lens).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Bingo, That's exactly it.  Thank you amfoto1.  I tried the "match needle" method and that gives me the proper, accurate, exposure.  It's a a little akward ignonring what I see live but something I can live with.  I'll go back n forth between that in manual mode and using Av exposure.  Thanks for the info.  It was very helpful!

skidd
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T6i and I am having this issue too. I shoot in manuel mode with a canon 85mm lens. When I click to take this picture the shutter clicks and is taking a good 10-20 seconds to complete the picture, but the picture was just yellow. 

Not sure what is goin on. It was working perfectly last night.

Announcements