cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter problem with new 7D mark 2

aquadiver
Apprentice

Got my brand new 7D Mark 2 yesterday and was excited like a kid at Christmas. But my mood has changed considerably since then.

After working fine yesterday and this morning, this afternoon, the shutter just stopped operating. That is, the shutter button does nothing. It doesn't release the shutter, it doesn't activate autofocus or exposure at half press, it doesn't wake the camera up after it goes into auto shutoff.

In fact, there is no resistance at all when I press the shutter button. It doesn't seem to touch anything. I have tried all the usual measures, like removing and replacing the battery, resetting all menu settings, etc. And the camera has not been dropped.

I know the 7D2 is so new that most other users haven't had any problems with it yet, but I wondered if anyone has ever experienced a problem like this with a shutter button. I can't send this back either to B&H or Canon before Tuesday, so I'm willing to try anything that won't void the warranty before then.

Thanks in advance.

gc

2 REPLIES 2

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

It sounds like the shutter button is not working at all.   You could pick up a remote shutter release in the mean time, but you really need to have the camera repaired or replaced.

Mike Sowsun

cale_kat
Mentor

Dang, it didn't take you long to perform a classic Christmas break... JK

Send it in for repair or replacement. I think it is important that you put it back in the box and try nothing. You might be thinking, "I couldn't make matters worse by trying something..." but you'd be wrong. JMHO

Good luck.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements