cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter closes when EOS 80 turned on

JimHannon
Contributor

I'm having an issue with my EOS 80D.  When I turn the camera on, the shutter will automatically close and stay in the closed position.  My options for correcting this is to either turn the camera off (and the shutter opens back up again) or to remove the lens.  Turning the camera off does not work many times because the shutter just closes again when I turn the camera back on.  This will also happen occasionally when the camera tries to focus, but happens more often as soon as I turn the camera on.  Any thoughts on a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JimHannon wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for the response.  My terminology may be incorrect and for that I apologize.  The issue is definitely in the body and not the lens.  The mirror lock is not enabled, so I don't think that is the issue.  I'm trying to attach a video of what is occcurring when I turn the camera on and off.  The view is through the viewfinder of the camera.  When the camera switch is turned to "on" something blocks the view through the viewfinder.  When turned off, you can see through it again.  All the while, the camera will not take pictures when this happens and is turned on.  https://youtu.be/k1sPAZ5TB5g   

Is it possible that you have the live view button enabled?  This would result in the mirron locking up when the camera is turned on and not being able to see through the viewfinder.  Still, I would have expected that the LCD would have lit up as soon as the lens cap was removed...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Glad you have a solution that did not cost the earth to resolve.  I have a 80D myself and they are a great camera.  I hope you have a great trip to Italy and get lots of awesome shots!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

@JimHannon wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for the response.  My terminology may be incorrect and for that I apologize.  The issue is definitely in the body and not the lens.  The mirror lock is not enabled, so I don't think that is the issue.  I'm trying to attach a video of what is occcurring when I turn the camera on and off.  The view is through the viewfinder of the camera.  When the camera switch is turned to "on" something blocks the view through the viewfinder.  When turned off, you can see through it again.  All the while, the camera will not take pictures when this happens and is turned on.  https://youtu.be/k1sPAZ5TB5g   

Is it possible that you have the live view button enabled?  This would result in the mirron locking up when the camera is turned on and not being able to see through the viewfinder.  Still, I would have expected that the LCD would have lit up as soon as the lens cap was removed...

Movie mode was enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements