cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Count for Canon6D

blues
Apprentice

Hi  there!!

I am newbie here, recently bought my Canon 6D . Wondering a smart way to find the shutter count. 

Any help?

Thanks

Blues.

18 REPLIES 18

I use Magic lantern. Some people may think it is risky.

but isn't this pulling data from the exif details on the photo, which can change if the camera is reset or it does not use continous count.

@rjtyler wrote:

but isn't this pulling data from the exif details on the photo, which can change if the camera is reset or it does not use continous count.

No, which is exactly why Canon does not include in the EXIF data.  The count is stored somewhere within the camera.  Third party apps claim to be able to read the internal count, but they modify the camera's firmware to do so.  Most of them do not capture accurate counts, and some of them disable seldomly used features within the cameras.

If you want an accurate count along with a bill of the clean health, let Canon do annual maintenance on the camera.  Just make sure to ask them for a shutter count before hand.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The bottom line is you can't rely on the count from any source except Canon.  It makes shutter count meaningless.  But some people are satisfied with a number, any number.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon doesn't provide a built-in way to view the shutter count... nor do they include a utility that displays the shutter count.  It's always a 3rd party method that has to be used to see it.

I use a utility called "ShutterCount" available for Macs (via Mac "App Store").  I think it was $2.99 USD.

There is one caveat about the 6D.  If WiFi is enabled then it blocks the apps ability to read the shutter count via USB cable... you'll need to disable the WiFi before using it (this also applies to the 70D.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Canon keep the software that determine the actual auction count only to themseleves and had it always. I remember a decade or so back, the only way to find out that number was to ask Canon's repair center. Buy the way, this is a free service if you send your camera for any reason to them so don't forget to ask for it as it will be revealed to owner, upon request.

Avoind that paid nasty software. It is written by a money griddy provider whose sole purpose is to get your money. Software has limitations and is only usable to one camera you first used it for. So if you have 10 camera bodies or need to just randomly check each potential camera you want to buy, you need to pay separatedly for each.

There are many other free softwares out there that do a good and reliable count. There was one that was extremely easy to use with a good review on youtube but because it was offered from a server located in Iran, was removed from the face web for the obvious reasons and I wish I have a back up of that one. Anyhow there are plenety of free softwares and make sure you don't pay for gimmicks. And last words, if you need the most reliable count, ask it directly form Canon's repair service (For free) when you send you camera for anyother reason.

I figure one easy way to keep track of shutter count is by not using custom file names.  The camera does a good job of numbering the files from 0000 to 9999.  Once it rolls over, then I know I have 10,000 shots under my belt.  I plan to count the number of times that it rolls over.

But, the problem with doing that is that it doesn't take into account time, how much time has the shutter spent opened up.  For example, how many seconds of video has been shot with the camera?  I don't know, and don't know how to find out, except by keeping track in a small database that i built.

The movment of the shutter and the mirror is what will kill them. If it happens it happens, if it so happens at 2000 exposures or 300000 exposures.

@Peter wrote:

The movment of the shutter and the mirror is what will kill them. If it happens it happens, if it so happens at 2000 exposures or 300000 exposures.

Really.  That begs the question, so what drives the movement?  Yeah, cycling kills lots of stuff.

I would imagine that top-of-the-line models do not employ the same type of systems to mvoe the shutters as entry level cameras, and likewise for the middle of the line.  Coils can heat up, and will always eventually short out when their insulation wears away. 

The longer a coil is energized, the more heat it generates..  I would expect that energy is expended holding the shutter open for extended periods.  And, the literature warns about the cameras getting warm when shooting video.

Announcements