cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Count for 60D

jazzman1
Rising Star

I've searched the web and googled to find a program that can tell me my shutter count on my Canon 60D.  I only found 2 solutions, Eoscount, and Magic Lantern.   I tried Eoscount and it would'nt work, I think because my Pc is Windows 8.1 64 bit.  It seems to work well with windows 7.   I'm kind of leery to use Magic Lantern while my Camera is still under warranty.   Does anyone know a program to find shutter count, or anyother way I can find my shutter count????. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

PM sent.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

PM sent.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks guy, Thumbs Up  Smiley Very Happy

My 60D has 5,652 shutter counts.  Only had my 60D for 3 months, I'm using up shutter counts fast.  My shutter count life expectancy is 100,000.  That puts me on track to reach 100,000 shutter counts within 2 years.

@jazzman1 wrote:

My 60D has 5,652 shutter counts.  Only had my 60D for 3 months, I'm using up shutter counts fast.  My shutter count life expectancy is 100,000.  That puts me on track to reach 100,000 shutter counts within 2 years.

There's always a drawback to just thoughtlessly banging away. Even if shutter life weren't a consideration, a large volume of images is a lot more work to process.

But the reason you own a camera is to take pictures. So if you have time to process what you take, and you have a sensible "keeper" ratio, you're probably better off not messing with what works. If, after a shoot, you find yourself wishing you'd taken more shots, the fact that your shutter may last a little longer will be small consolation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RobertTheFat wrote

There's always a drawback to just thoughtlessly banging away. Even if shutter life weren't a consideration, a large volume of images is a lot more work to process.

But the reason you own a camera is to take pictures. So if you have time to process what you take, and you have a sensible "keeper" ratio, you're probably better off not messing with what works. If, after a shoot, you find yourself wishing you'd taken more shots, the fact that your shutter may last a little longer will be small consolation.

I would'nt say I take shots thoughtlessly, just banging away.  But I have taken shots I won't be shooting as much anymore, as I get better.  And I'm better now than when I started.  Alot of shots were at 1st just practice getting to know and getting the feel  of the camera.  Then shots to test different lens, lighting, different situations, and trying new things.  trying different adjustments in my camera.   I gotta admit, most of them I deleted, although I have kept a small amount as keepers.  The 3 day Jazz Fest, among some others are keepers, though I still deleted many of the bad ones.   No matter how well I take my shots there's always a few I don't like for 1 reason or another.   I'm just getting above the 1/2 way point of more keeper's, than throw aways.   I'm starting to keep even more, that I use to delete because of Post Ed.  Yep, many Pics I would normally delete are saved through DPP.  There's still features and ajustments I have'nt learned to use like HDR.  I struggle cropping pics and enlarging them.   The cropping tool is different from any other crop tool I've used.   I use it mostly for straightning pics I take on the water and it's very useful for those.   I'm starting now to be more objective in the shots I take, and of corase that means i'm taking less shots on each outing.   But as you say, the reason I'm into photography is to shoot pics and learn.   I'm doing just what you told me to do Bob, I go out everyday...least almost everyday, and practice. 

"My 60D has 5,652 shutter counts.  Only had my 60D for 3 months, I'm using up shutter counts fast.  My shutter count life expectancy is 100,000.  That puts me on track to reach 100,000 shutter counts within 2 years."

Really?  Smiley Surprised  Is that "new math" ?

5652 divide by 3 to get monthly = 1884.   1884 x 24 months = 45,216.  Not even half way!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"My 60D has 5,652 shutter counts.  Only had my 60D for 3 months, I'm using up shutter counts fast.  My shutter count life expectancy is 100,000.  That puts me on track to reach 100,000 shutter counts within 2 years."

Really?  Smiley Surprised  Is that "new math" ?

5652 divide by 3 to get monthly = 1884.   1884 x 24 months = 45,216.  Not even half way!

Golly gee Obiwan, I don't know what was in the milk I had that night i posted that, but yeah, that must be some kinda new math i figured with....you're correct   Smiley Surprised                    Man, I have no idea how I was off that far.  Though I did just throw the figures togather up in my head.   I just re-did it on my calculator and came up with the same thing you did.  But this makes me very happy to learn, now I can expect my 60D to get twice as much mileage as I had figured.  Now appox 4 years before i need to worry, though I know my shutter may last long after 100,000....or quit before that.   That makes me feel real good, along with the fact that now I'm taking less pics everyday, and that will help also.   Thanks for pointing that out, i'll sleep a little easier tonight   Smiley Very Happy

what program was used? I tried a few where it made me upload a photo but couldnt get the data off it.

Hey John,

I noticed you were able to provide a solution for the person who originally asked the question. If possible, I was hoping you may share your intel with me? I'm trying to get the shutter count on my 60D, but to no avail.

Cheers,

Michael

Announcements