cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the R5 shutter be open or shut when the camera is off?

Bazsl
Rising Star

The R5 Sensor at Shutdown setting lets you have the shutter shut when the camera is turned off to protect the sensor from dust. I may be wrong but it seems to me that the sensor, while it can get dirty, is less subject to mechanical damage than the shutter. The sensor is protected by a sheet of glass while the shutter blades appear to be quite delicate. I would rather clean my sensor than replace my shutter. Any thoughts? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bazsl wrote:

The R5 Sensor at Shutdown setting lets you have the shutter shut when the camera is turned off to protect the sensor from dust. I may be wrong but it seems to me that the sensor, while it can get dirty, is less subject to mechanical damage than the shutter. The sensor is protected by a sheet of glass while the shutter blades appear to be quite delicate. I would rather clean my sensor than replace my shutter. Any thoughts? Thanks.

There is a specification listed somewhere, but I canot find it at the moment.  The least expensive cameras are listed at 100,000 shutter actuations.  I am sure the R5 is at least double that.   I think I would take my chances with wearing out the shutter than constantly needing to clean the image sensor.

Sony cameras do not cover the image sensor.  Do a web search for articles about how often their sensors get dirty.  People who shoot dozens, if not hunreds of photos per day often need to clean thir sensor at least once per day before they begin shooting.  Videographers need to clean the sensor almost every time they change a lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry that I was not clear. I am not worried about the shutter wearing out. I am worried about what happens if a finger or other foreign object pokes the shutter as opposed to poking the sensor. My guess is that the shutter is more easily damaged by impact than the sensor although I certainly agree that dirt on the sensor will happen far more often.

@Bazsl wrote:

Sorry that I was not clear. I am not worried about the shutter wearing out. I am worried about what happens if a finger or other foreign object pokes the shutter as opposed to poking the sensor. My guess is that the shutter is more easily damaged by impact than the sensor although I certainly agree that dirt on the sensor will happen far more often.

Of course, anything can happen when you least expect it.  But, I think the odds of that happening are pretty slim.  After all, the mirror assemlies in film and digital SLR cameras have survived for decades without this concern being a major issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think you have convinced me. Also, I have a bit of extra protection since I do not have any RF lenses I will always have an adapter on the front. Thanks again.

Shutters are *much* cheaper than sensors!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Having the shutter closed also protects the sensor from damage from light when not in use in case the camera with uncovered lens is inadvertently aimed at the sun, laser, etc.  You aren't going to wear the shutter out from having it close when the power is removed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements