cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I update the firmware on my 5D3?

Steves_8
Contributor

My 5D3 works fine. The only problem I have had is an occasional reluctance to talk to my Nissin flash - not a biggie.

I am running firmware version 1.0.7, which I think is the original?

Should I update? I am a little reluctant, being a firm believer in the old rule, 'Only fix it if it's broke'. On the other hand, if updating might offer some tangible benefits, I might give it a go.

Also, does updating online, via a Mac usually work OK?

13 REPLIES 13

I have decided to update the firmware but I will wait till the 7D2 I have on order arrives and checks out OK. That way, if I have any issues, I won't be without a DSLR while I fix it.

"I have decided to update the firmware ..."

I usually do all the FW updates but if there is something in it that you don't use, you will never know you updated it.

If you follow the steps exactly you will not have any problems.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Firmware and fear of upgrading. Don't be afraid. 

Definitely important to be informed. I too, always update FW for cameras and lenses.  Upgraded the FW on my 6D2 last Nov.  Working great.  Yesterday I purchased a Sigma USB Dock for my 17-70 APS-C and 24-70 Art.  The APS-C lens I've owned since late 2015, the latter since 9/17.  I waited to purchase the dock until the available FW's included things I knew would enhance the lenses.  

My recommendation is update.  Worth it IMO.  Plenty has changed since the release of the 5D3. Agree with the others. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Steves_8wrote:
Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. I can't see much in there that I need, but bug fixes are always a good thing and there is mention of some flash firing issues, so that might fix my own problem with the Nissin. I shall take a deep breath and give it a go.

I see two issues that you may definitely want beginning in 1.2.1.  This release corrects errors associated with the AFMA feature, which seems to have been further improved in a later update.

Surprisingly, at least to me, 1.2.1 enables the center AF point to focus with lenses that have a minimum aperture of f/8.  I would have expected this last to have already been built into the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements