cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I update the firmware on my 5D3?

Steves_8
Contributor

My 5D3 works fine. The only problem I have had is an occasional reluctance to talk to my Nissin flash - not a biggie.

I am running firmware version 1.0.7, which I think is the original?

Should I update? I am a little reluctant, being a firm believer in the old rule, 'Only fix it if it's broke'. On the other hand, if updating might offer some tangible benefits, I might give it a go.

Also, does updating online, via a Mac usually work OK?

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The download site for the update should tell you why update was released, and what it corrects.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

There is a widespread belief that updates may contain minor undocumented tweaks apart from the changes that are published. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but if it is then you may just get improvements that you didn't realise you needed.

I believe that whenever you send a Camera back to Canon for repair then they will update it to the latest version. I can't believe they would spend time doing that if it wasn't necessary. Consequently I always update mine to the latest available version although I do wait for a couple of weeks after the first release just in case any bugs were found with the new version.

I would imagine the odd problems with your Nissin flash is more likely to be a compatibilty problem and unlikely to be improved by a camera firmware update.

@Ray-ukwrote:

There is a widespread belief that updates may contain minor undocumented tweaks apart from the changes that are published. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but if it is then you may just get improvements that you didn't realise you needed.

I believe that whenever you send a Camera back to Canon for repair then they will update it to the latest version. I can't believe they would spend time doing that if it wasn't necessary. Consequently I always update mine to the latest available version although I do wait for a couple of weeks after the first release just in case any bugs were found with the new version.

I would imagine the odd problems with your Nissin flash is more likely to be a compatibilty problem and unlikely to be improved by a camera firmware update.

The feature "block non original batteries" was an undocumented tweak.

@Peterwrote:

@Ray-ukwrote:

What is an "original battery" in this context? My 5D3 is up-to-fate, and I've never had any trouble using the non-Canon batteries that B&H sometimes throws in with a new camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@Peterwrote:

@Ray-ukwrote:

What is an "original battery" in this context? My 5D3 is up-to-fate, and I've never had any trouble using the non-Canon batteries that B&H sometimes throws in with a new camera.

The issue was reported 2013 on Canonrumors and dpreview for example. Wish I could give you a link.

@Peterwrote:

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@Peterwrote:

@Ray-ukwrote:

The issue was reported 2013 on Canonrumors and dpreview for example. Wish I could give you a link.

I'll venture a guess (which may indeed be based on an actual vague recollection) that it had something to do with the 5D3's ability to monitor the fitness of Canon batteries. The change may have been that if the camera can't communicate with the battery, it tries to verify that it's actually a Canon battery before complaining about it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whatever is in the latest FW, it won't fix this "an occasional reluctance to talk to my Nissin flash"

A lot of the update just include specs for newer lenses that were not out when the 5D Mk III was released.  Of course this is not 100% as some bug swats are also included.  Check the list.  The new FW may do nothing for you but I usually do all upgrades.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@Steves_8wrote:

My 5D3 works fine. The only problem I have had is an occasional reluctance to talk to my Nissin flash - not a biggie.

I am running firmware version 1.0.7, which I think is the original?

Should I update? I am a little reluctant, being a firm believer in the old rule, 'Only fix it if it's broke'. On the other hand, if updating might offer some tangible benefits, I might give it a go.

Also, does updating online, via a Mac usually work OK?

Yes, 1.0.7 is the original firmware.  If you are nervous about doing it, take your camera to Canon, or any good Camera Shop.

Here are all the updates:  (1.3.5 incorporates them all)

1. Supports a new accessory, GPS receiver GP-E2. 
2. Fixes a phenomenon where a pink cast may develop over the image when the shutter is completely pressed with the camera’s power turned off (by the auto power off setting). 
3. Fixes a phenomenon where the camera operation stops after one shot when shooting in High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode. 
4. Fixes a phenomenon where the Shooting Date/Time in the EXIF data of the image shows a later time than the actual shooting time. 
5. Fixes the time zone for the Samoa Islands. 
6. Corrects errors in the Finnish menu screen.  

Supports the single focal length EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens that is to be released at the end of June, 2012. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which an image may become underexposed when using the Auto Lighting Optimizer for continuous Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) shooting. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the backlight of the LCD monitor may not turn off depending on the camera settings and timing. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera’s power may not turn on when a super-telephoto lens*1) is mounted to the camera with an extender*2). 
– EF 300mm F2.8L IS II USM / EF 400mm F2.8L IS II USM 
– Extender EF 1.4X III / Extender EF 2X III 
Corrects mistakes in the Dutch, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, and Swedish menu screens 

Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled. 
Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8. 
Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode. 
Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting. 
Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved. 
When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “O” will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an “X” will be displayed. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly. 
Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the “Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO” option. 

Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.* 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast. 
Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected. 
Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected. 
* The phenomenon listed in 2 was addressed with Firmware Version 1.2.1, and has been further improved with Firmware Version 1.2.3. 

1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom). 
2. Corrects some incorrect indications on the “English” and “Russian” menu screens.  

Corrects a phenomenon in which when using the camera with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, even if lens aberration correction is set to “Enable”, correction will not be applied.

Fixes a phenomenon in which standard exposure may not be obtained, or an irregular exposure may result, when Silent LV (Live View) shooting with the following TS-E lenses: TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO, or TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. I can't see much in there that I need, but bug fixes are always a good thing and there is mention of some flash firing issues, so that might fix my own problem with the Nissin. I shall take a deep breath and give it a go.
Announcements