cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I spend the $280.00 to have Canon fix my 70D auto-focusing issue?

MelekalsCanon
Apprentice

Should I spend the $280.00 to have Canon fix my 70D auto-focusing issue? Or just return back to my very much trusted Rebels?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MelekalsCanon wrote:

Very much appreciate your taking time to send a response. As a new user I wasn't sure if anyone would bother. Allow me to add a little more to my first post. I fit in that niche between amateur and a person with clients. For over 10 years I have covered events for a non-profit agency capturing the look and feel of 20+ events per year and was given permission to purchase a few cameras over the year. My decision from the beginning was to use the Canon Rebel. Images were spot on and only once did I have an issue with one of them (after shooting outside events in 105 degree temps for 3 days).

So, when I retired a year ago it was for me a pretty simple choice to get a Canon for myself - especially since at that time the 70D was on the cover of magazines and was very highly touted. I also did a lot of desktop publishing and photo editing which helped me realize I wanted the best sensor, sharpness, resolution and lens I could afford - the 70D. My post was actually a result of reading many online responses including your very informative replies about the 70D focusing issues. My biggest concern is that I will spend several hundred dollars and maybe, just maybe get back a camera which captures better focused images, but still not as sharp as the lower end Rebels I was using. I had hoped to purchase my first "L" lens and really get excited - not repair the most expensive camera I've bought to date.

Thanks again and before it gets noted by someone...yes, I should have pushed this issue sooner and then at least the warranty would have covered the cost. An expensivve lesson learned. But I will have to add that at least one authorized Canon repair dealer told me they have had several folks feel like I did - that it was the photographer/me as a new user having the issue and not the camera. I now know it's my camera.

Let me clarify that I don't own a 70D, so anything I say about it is from watching what others have said, mainly in this forum. But it is disconcerting to see so much complaint about a camera that's supposed to have an innovative focusing system. One is strongly tempted to suspect that they went overboard in trying to make the camera serve both still  photographers and videographers.

That said, I'm not a great fan of the Rebel line, because they lack autofocus microadjustment and I have at least one otherwise excellent Canon lens that would be useless without it. (The 70D does have AFMA, a point in its favor.)

As far as spending the $280 for the repair, I understand why it's a hard call. If I were in your shoes and were convinced that Canon understands the issue and would fix it correctly and permanently, I guess I'd go for it. If you don't think they do, but fell that you need something a cut above the Rebels, this may be a good time to buy a leftover or refurbished 7D. Even though I now have a 5D3, I still use my 7D's a fair amount and have been very happy with them. And the 7D2 has gotten such a favorable reception that's it's almost bound to make more 7D's available at a decent price.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@MelekalsCanon wrote:

Should I spend the $280.00 to have Canon fix my 70D auto-focusing issue? Or just return back to my very much trusted Rebels?

If you have to ask, you should probably return back to your very much trusted Rebels. If you can't tell the difference, your clients probably won't either. If they could, and suspected that you couldn't, they would have hired somebody else.

If you're an amateur photographer and don't have clients, the decision is easier, since you have no one to please but yourself. Spend the $280 on Christmas presents for your kids.

Bob

Very much appreciate your taking time to send a response. As a new user I wasn't sure if anyone would bother. Allow me to add a little more to my first post. I fit in that niche between amateur and a person with clients. For over 10 years I have covered events for a non-profit agency capturing the look and feel of 20+ events per year and was given permission to purchase a few cameras over the year. My decision from the beginning was to use the Canon Rebel. Images were spot on and only once did I have an issue with one of them (after shooting outside events in 105 degree temps for 3 days).

So, when I retired a year ago it was for me a pretty simple choice to get a Canon for myself - especially since at that time the 70D was on the cover of magazines and was very highly touted. I also did a lot of desktop publishing and photo editing which helped me realize I wanted the best sensor, sharpness, resolution and lens I could afford - the 70D. My post was actually a result of reading many online responses including your very informative replies about the 70D focusing issues. My biggest concern is that I will spend several hundred dollars and maybe, just maybe get back a camera which captures better focused images, but still not as sharp as the lower end Rebels I was using. I had hoped to purchase my first "L" lens and really get excited - not repair the most expensive camera I've bought to date.

Thanks again and before it gets noted by someone...yes, I should have pushed this issue sooner and then at least the warranty would have covered the cost. An expensivve lesson learned. But I will have to add that at least one authorized Canon repair dealer told me they have had several folks feel like I did - that it was the photographer/me as a new user having the issue and not the camera. I now know it's my camera.

@MelekalsCanon wrote:

Let me clarify that I don't own a 70D, so anything I say about it is from watching what others have said, mainly in this forum. But it is disconcerting to see so much complaint about a camera that's supposed to have an innovative focusing system. One is strongly tempted to suspect that they went overboard in trying to make the camera serve both still  photographers and videographers.

That said, I'm not a great fan of the Rebel line, because they lack autofocus microadjustment and I have at least one otherwise excellent Canon lens that would be useless without it. (The 70D does have AFMA, a point in its favor.)

As far as spending the $280 for the repair, I understand why it's a hard call. If I were in your shoes and were convinced that Canon understands the issue and would fix it correctly and permanently, I guess I'd go for it. If you don't think they do, but fell that you need something a cut above the Rebels, this may be a good time to buy a leftover or refurbished 7D. Even though I now have a 5D3, I still use my 7D's a fair amount and have been very happy with them. And the 7D2 has gotten such a favorable reception that's it's almost bound to make more 7D's available at a decent price.

Bob

I've decided to "keep the faith" and have now sent my 70D to Canon for repairs (by way of a local dealer). When it returns I'll post the result for anyone interested. (approx. 3 weeks)

juzan42
Contributor

I have some auto focusing issues?

is sending it back to Canon the only solution?   and on top of that they are charging $280??

70D, T3i
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 10-18mm
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro
EF 50mm f/1.8
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
CS6, Lightroom 5.7

What focusing issues, and what are they doing for $280?

My 70D is spot on that is of course if "IF I DO MY JOB".

@juzan42 wrote:

I have some auto focusing issues?

is sending it back to Canon the only solution?   and on top of that they are charging $280??

FYI, in the future you'd probably be better off starting your own thread, rather than tagging onto an old one that's showing "Solved". You might get more responses and less confusion.  

The very first thing to consider with a focusing issue.... Is the camera or lens at fault? Or the photographer?

We don't know you and your skill level or how long you've been using the 70D. And, of course, there is no way for us to try the camera and give you our opinion.

If it's less than a year old, it should be under warranty (unless bought "gray market", in which case your warranty would probably be with the seller instead of Canon). If not under warranty, $280 is what someone else was quoted for repairs to their camera... who knows if yours needs the same work or not. If there is anything actually wrong with your camrea, maybe only needs an hour of labor and no parts and would be cheaper than that. Or, maybe it needs major parts replaced and would cost more. I wouldn't assume it was going to cost $280, until I got a quote from Canon themselves.

It would be great if you could show us some images... examples of the focus problem... with the EXIF data intact. Maybe we can point to something that will solve your problem.

If it's new to you, the 70D's 19-point AF system is quite a change for a lot of people... coming from a 9-point that's used on many other Canon. The 70D's AF system is very similar to the original 7D's... and we saw a ton of "focus issues" with 7D when they were first introduced 5 years ago. I'd estimate 90-95% of those problems were user-related, only relatively few were actually fault of the camera.

It was a steep learning curve with the 7D, easy to set up the AF system wrong and use the incorrect mode for a givven situation, resulting in a lot more missed focus shots. I speak from personal experience. When I first got my 7Ds I saw my "keeper" rate plummet due to missed focus, while I learned what to do... and what not  to do... with the new and much more complicated AF system. I almost gave up and went back to the 50Ds I'd been using before. However, I finally figured it out pretty well and have had good results with my 7Ds ever since. On average now, I only lose around 3 or 4% or my images to "missed focus"... and I'd wager at least half of those are my fault, not the camera's. I cull out many more shots for other reasons, of course... but am always amazed at how good the 7D AF system is, now that I am pretty good using it.

Your 70D has the latest version of Micro Focus Adjustment. Have you used that to fine tune the focus on your camera? 

Please post some examples of the issues you're seeing. Maybe we can help more.  

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

GrantCC
Apprentice

I've had my 70D back to Canon three times here in Melbourne and while they have made some 'adjustments' they simply won't acknowledge there's even a problem, saying instead I'm getting the best results I should expect from a non full frame camera.

So, while I will probably have some difficulty convincing my wife that I need to spend another $3+ k on a 5D I'd be really interested to know what Canon do for $280.00 to fix the problem? At this stage I'd be happy to do just that, if pretty annoyed that they acknowledge and can fix it. In fact if the problem is known, would an independent repairer know what to do?

Announcements