cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting in low light....

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

Do a lot of shooting at the local drag strip, once the sun goes down and the lights come on that is when I really start enjoying it. I have a 5D Mark IV. Have a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 along with a Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS II. Which one I use depends largely how bad my back hurts as the Sigma is HEAVY. 

I recently decided I want to not only take shots from 60-100' from the starting line but I like taking shots from right along side the cars as they launch. I have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 ART as well as a Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART.

A friend suggested the 7D Mark II. Found a deal on a lightly used one. Very impressed with its 10 FPS ability. Have taken some really good shots with it. Just not all that impressed with it in low light. I have went into the settings and switched it to H1, think that is what it is called...where the body will shoot at ISO25600. While the pictures look decent once I edit them they just are not good enough. I realize shooting at this high of an ISO noise is always a problem. But the noise associated with this ISO makes the nighttime pictures look very appealing to me.

I realize that I can simply switch the lens on my 5d when I want to go from one shooting position to the other. Thing is I hate opening up the camera to switch lenses at the track frequently. One look at the oily residue on the mirror of the 5D and you would understand why. Not to mention as I am fumbling around switching from one lens to the other I am missing shots.

It is not like $$ is no object for me as I am disabled. But at the same time I look at investing in a Camera body as a long term investment...with the occasional hiccup when mistakes are made...lol.

With all the above boring nonsense out of the way...any suggestions for another body? I am now a CPS member, so I can "borrow" one before buying it. Really considering buying another 5d Mark IV body simply because I know it works. Have seen mixed reviews on the 6D and 6D Mark II bodies. I could probably swing buying a 1 DX Mark II. While I really "want" it I question if I "need" one. A friend has one...and has told me that when push comes to shove the low light performance of the 5D Mark IV and the 1DX Mark II is very minor, if at all. I really respect my friends opinions as he has been shooting for almost as long as I have been alive. He has told me that, in his opinion, for shooting motor sports and the other stuff that makes up the majority of my hobby, my dogs, sunsets etc that the 1DX would be a waste of money.

Apologies for rambling. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I am leaving out all sorts of vital details...so please if any more info is needed to help form an opinion please do ask.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do a lot of shooting at the local drag strip, once the sun goes down and the lights come on that is when I really start enjoying it. I have a 5D Mark IV. Have a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 along with a Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS II. Which one I use depends largely how bad my back hurts as the Sigma is HEAVY.

I have a really bad back, too.  I like bodies with battery grips, which only adds weight.  

So, I use a monopod with my heavy lenses.  In fact, I use a monopod whenever I can when shooting action photography.  My keeper rate is at least double compared to that with going handheld.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements