cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting at raw mode, appears as jpeg when transferred to computer.

alessanoir
Apprentice

I in need of serious help.

I am shooting with a canon eos 6d, on Av mode. I choose the raw mode before I started shooting, but when I transferred to my computer, all were jpeg. 

How can I solve this problem.

Thank you in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Of course, double check that you're shooting RAW, and only RAW. The fact that you're using Av mode should not make any difference.  Are you trying to transfer files wirelessly, or via USB? 

What type of computer are you using?  I think I've seen threads where MAC users are complaining about file sizes of their JPEGs.  Apparently, something in some Apple's software may resize the image files downward.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

What software are you using? Apple Photos? Photos (and Aperture and iPhoto) do NOT make any changes to the images downloaded from the camera. 

If you are shooting in RAW + JPEG, Photos will show only the JPEG by default, but the RAW is still there. If that's the case and you want to use the RAW image instead, choose the image, edit the image, then right-click on the image while in edit mode and choose "Use RAW as Original".

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Of course, double check that you're shooting RAW, and only RAW. The fact that you're using Av mode should not make any difference.  Are you trying to transfer files wirelessly, or via USB? 

What type of computer are you using?  I think I've seen threads where MAC users are complaining about file sizes of their JPEGs.  Apparently, something in some Apple's software may resize the image files downward.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes! I am using Macbook, that has to be the problem. I am so thankful for your answer. I was about to lose my mind trying to figure it out, especially coming home after shooting 5 hours and finding out its all jpeg 😄

Thanks again!

What software are you using? Apple Photos? Photos (and Aperture and iPhoto) do NOT make any changes to the images downloaded from the camera. 

If you are shooting in RAW + JPEG, Photos will show only the JPEG by default, but the RAW is still there. If that's the case and you want to use the RAW image instead, choose the image, edit the image, then right-click on the image while in edit mode and choose "Use RAW as Original".

Yes, the problem was apple photos, I just avoided using it completely and instead went to finder and directly opened the memory card's folder. Copied what I want and pasted in a file. Quite pre-historic but works!

Photos handles RAWs just fine. What makes you think that it was turning the RAWs to jpegs? It will do that if you export thiem without telling it that you want the unmodified original.

Inside the raw file there is an embedded low resolution thumbnail pic in jpg format, some picture viewing software will display this if it is unable to view a raw file. This jpg data is in the raw file whether you have raw+jpg or just raw enabled.

Mbclark:

In Photos, this only works in edit mode.

@Waddizzle wrote:

The Apple "Photos" app is specifically a JPEG oriented app, but it understands how to read in RAW data.  But since it's designed for JPEG editing, it converts all RAW files to JPEG upon import (but you don't lose the RAW -- it never discards the original data.)

Apple's "Aperture" app is a true RAW workflow photo app.  The app still works (and even gets updates) for people who already own it, but Apple doesn't sell it anymore (so if you don't own it, you can't buy it.)

Most people who shoot in RAW are probably using Adobe Lightroom (I use Lightroom) which is also a RAW workflow app -- though there are certainly many other RAW processing apps on the market.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

No, while the RAW editing is not as pervasive as Aperture, Photos does not it "converts all RAW files to JPEG upon import ". It does lossless editing using a jpeg preview - just like Aperture.

Announcements