cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift in Color - R5 and RF 28-70 f/2 while shooting with lights in the image

Canonoli
Enthusiast

While out today testing my new RF 28-70 f2 on the Canon Eos R5, every other frame with lights in the background has one image with no glow from the lights, and the next frame the lights glow? Weird or is this something in settings?
Look at the ceiling in the second image and you can see the warm glow of the lights on the ceiling and no glow on the ceiling in the first image. Never ever seen this in 40 years of photography.

Images were shot in AV mode at F2 with the latest firmware in the R5 v1.20
I set my white balance to AWB-W and have never witnessed this behaviour before.
Normally I shoot in maual mode but was just taking snap shot for testing purpose to see the sharpness of the new lens.
I also shoot in RAW, but I only took a few image with lights in the image, and they all shift like this?

Any help in the matter would be appreicated.

_W4A5870.jpg_W4A5871.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

@Canonoli wrote:

Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread. I went back and the lights were off, and today they were on and all new lights as many bulbs were dead when I first posted with the glow from the lights. I set the camera on Anti-flicker and that resolved the problem.

Great job!  I was worried about it not working because those lights are not the primary light source.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thx,

I suspect the string lights in your pics are LED bulbs which do exhibit a flicker like fluorescent tubes. The issue you're experiencing would probably be more likely at higher shutter speeds, like 1/60 or faster. But it sounds like now you won't be able to test out my theory.

LED stage lighting can be a PITA to work with sometimes too. Certain shutter speeds can produce very noticeable color shifts that the naked eye never sees.

Yes if I have a chance I will shoot at either 60s or 125s to match the 60hz bandwave.
I would have originally thought they would have been incondescent bulbs, but led would make sense.
In two frames the lights were completely out, so I must have caught the on off cycle. Could be a really nightmare for someone not aware of this and shooting on a paid gig. Always something new to learn... 🙂

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements