cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpness Issue - Canon M50

Arifsarwar
Apprentice

HI Friends,

I have Canon M50 and using it for landscape Videography.
The issue I am having is that the filmed clips have no sharpness in them they are dull, flat, soft and blury.
No idea what should I do.

Any reference you would like to give me to learn more on it.

Many thanks.
Arif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Tronhard wrote:

@Arifsarwar wrote:
I am using its kit lens 15-45 mm EFM, focus was zone focus in auto mode. ISO as minimum as possible and F was somewhere 8-11 don't remember now.

Right off the bat, my first reacion is that the 15-45 is not regarded as the sharpest lens in the pack.  I have one - it came with a camera, but frankly I don't use it much at all...

If had ever had one of those lenses, I would probably feel the same way.  I bought my M3 as a "body only" kit with the EF lens adapter and EVF viewfinder from B&H.  The lens seemed to slow for what I wanted, which was a fast, wide angle pocket camera with high image quality.

I quickly realized that most EF lenses would drain the battery fairly quickly, as well as lenses with IS.  I found that the battery life was significantly improved with the EF 24mm and EF 40mm pancake lenses.  Battery life and image quality was even better with the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cinema lens, which I would focus at its' hyperfocal distance, and shoot away all day long.

4D2644DC-2333-46FF-897E-16D33F81B556.jpeg

When Canon introduced the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake lens, I jumped on it.  It gave me exactly what I wanted from the M3 camera body.  This sample photo was shot on a heavily overcast day, not the best of lighting conditions.  Yet, it captured the image exactly as I remembered it.  

REMEMBER.  This image began as a 24MP captare.  Video frames begin life as a 2MP capture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Since there is no glass in the adapter, there is no effect to sharpness or lens speed.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What video camera did you have that did not result in images that were dull, flat, soft and blurry? Did you do the same test with that one?

Haze can often create flat images, how far away was this landscape? A pink "skylight" filter may help.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Arifsarwar wrote:

HI Friends,

I have Canon M50 and using it for landscape Videography.
The issue I am having is that the filmed clips have no sharpness in them they are dull, flat, soft and blury.
No idea what should I do.

Any reference you would like to give me to learn more on it.

Many thanks.
Arif

What is not indicated in your post is the optics you are using, and what the settings are for the lenses.  If you want to do landscape videography, why not get a real video camera that is designed for video specifically.  A camera like the M50 is something of a compromise - a photographic camera with some video capability.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements