cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting copyright on M50

SophM
Apprentice

I've heard that it's a good idea to copyright ones pictures before posting them online.  I've looked up tutorials on how to do it on a M50, but Imdon't seem to have that option on my camera.  The tutorials show the option under tab 5  of Function Settings, but I only have 4 tabs on my camera. Am I missing somthing?

20 REPLIES 20

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@SophM wrote:

I've heard that it's a good idea to copyright ones pictures before posting them online.  I've looked up tutorials on how to do it on a M50, but Imdon't seem to have that option on my camera.  The tutorials show the option under tab 5  of Function Settings, but I only have 4 tabs on my camera. Am I missing somthing?

I would suggest putting the camera in M mode and try again.  You get access to way more settings under that function.

I always set a copyright for every camera I use, you want to protect your images!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

My 60D allowed me to enter an owner name and copyright information directly from the camera. But I believe my older G5 required the installation of Canon's Camera Connect software and a USB connection to my desktop to enter this info into the camera. I wonder if the M50 also requires a similar connection.

It's also a good idea to enter this information for a little added security if the camera is ever lost or stolen. Another nice feature of the G5 was that you could also load up your own photo to the camera for use as the start-up screen display. The perfect place to add a photo showing your name, address, phone number, email addy or other information.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Just by taking a photo, you have certain rights to that image, even if you don't add a copyright symbol. The copyright symbol can serve as a reminder to others not to steal your photos but that's all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Just by taking a photo, you have certain rights to that image, even if you don't add a copyright symbol. The copyright symbol can serve as a reminder to others not to steal your photos but that's all.

But some (all?) of the Canon cameras I've owned don't let you include the copyright symbol as part of the text. Go figure.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Just to be clear to Trevor and Robert the lack of any copyright info including the symbol does not abate your rights as the owner and copyright holder of the work. It may, might, probably does limit your ability to recover monetary damages, in US law anyway.

If you did email the web site the photos it would probably lessen even more any ability to recover any monetary damage. However, even that does not diminish your ownership unless you specifically said go ahead and use them (that is written permission) but put my name on them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

But some (all?) of the Canon cameras I've owned don't let you include the copyright symbol as part of the text. Go figure.

I just use:   (c) Copyright...  All Rights Reserved.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yeah, that's what we did back in the old days when most computers had a more limited characyer set. But it seems tacky in this day and age.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

Yeah, that's what we did back in the old days when most computers had a more limited characyer set. But it seems tacky in this day and age.

Well, as long as it's clear and they get the message! Smiley Happy

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements