cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service, repair, and warranty whilst travelling overseas, and for non-US residents

mr_burns
Contributor

[As the Canon Community Forum can also serve as a reference library for Canon users, we've restored this post's original text to provide context to the replies below for the benefit of future visitors who might encounter a similar problem.  Thanks for contributing!]

Hi, my name is Mr Burns

I am an Australian, who purchased a 5d mark iv, and 24-70 2.8 ii at an Authorised Canon dealer, whilst travelling the US (my previous camera died a sudden death and needed urgent replacement, and I like to shop local!).

My camera has developed a fault preventing operation, and it is around 3 months since purchase.

I have sent the camera to a Factory Repair Centre in the US. Edit: It has been booked in using the online booking system, and all US documentation (receipts and warranty) are with the camera.

The Repair Centre has advised that they are refusing the package, as I have sent it from Australia, despite me organising a US return address back to the Authorised Dealer (i.e. I bear all additional international postage costs).

1. Does anyone in the community have an experience sending Canon items in for repair whilst travelling overseas? If so, was it possible, and how did you manage it. If not, what did you do?

2. What are people’s thoughs on and International Warranty? Given Canon happily sell products to international customers, the same price as mainland customers.

Thanks for your thoughts, hopefully this thread will help me get my camera sorted and help us all get better support from a Global Company. Mr Burns.

EDIT: Please ask any questions you need. Further info, I did contact Canon Australia who confirmed they will not undertake warranty repairs on Canon USA sold cameras - yes they will happily repair - and yes they will charge like a wounded bull for those repairs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mr_burns
Contributor
10 REPLIES 10

mr_burns
Contributor

Resolved

Here ya go call this number 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the phone number.

@mr_burns wrote:
Thank you for the phone number.

Be sure to give them the serial number when you call. They should be able to tell from the serial number that the camera was purchased in the U.S.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

turboleo
Apprentice

Hi, I have the same problem.

My 5d mark IV bought 5 months ago just doesn't turn on anymore. And I'm currently in Europe.

How did you solve the issue?

I already called but they said I need a person within the US to send the camera too. This person can then send it to the CANON repair centre. And I need a US phone number. Unfortunately, I live in Haiti and I don't know any trustful person in the US.

I'm a professional photographer travelling a lot around the world. But in this time of pandemic, because of the bad health system in Haiti, I went back to Europe. 

How is Canon supporting professional photographers doing their job outside the US?

And especially at this time of COVID where people can't travel anymore? 

"How did you solve the issue?"

Just sending the camera to the US won't help.  The camera must have been purchased from a Canon USA authorized dealer.

If you did buy from a Canon USA authorized dealer call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and ask if they can do anything.

EB

Hi ediggs1,

Thank you for your answer.

I brought the camera in an official shop in NY. I told CANON at the phone but they just said that it can't be sent from abroad.

I checked the warranty term&condition in with there is no mention of that. So I called again and get the same answer !

Sorry, I have no further options.  It does seem Canon USA needs to address this issue.  I see no restriction on the fact you must always use your camera in the US.  People travel, they take their camera, they need service from time to time.  Canon certainly is or should be aware of this.

This issue has come up once in a while on this forum. I don't know how, if any, were resolved. Canon is normally top notch with their CS but......................................

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Sorry, I have no further options.  It does seem Canon USA needs to address this issue.  I see no restriction on the fact you must always use your camera in the US.  People travel, they take their camera, they need service from time to time.  Canon certainly is or should be aware of this.

This issue has come up once in a while on this forum. I don't know how, if any, were resolved. Canon is normally top notch with their CS but......................................

Could this be a temporary restriction due to the current pandemic?

Announcements