Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Sensor booger or??

[ Edited ]

Have a 1DX Mark III. Absolutely in love with it. Spent Friday & Saturday evenings at the local motocross track. Needless to say gear is filthy. Need to take the bag the camera/lens is in out to the garage and use the shop vac to get all the silt off of it before opening the bag and cleaning the camera/lens. Prior to mounting the lens I did a test shot on a white piece of paper to verify the sensor was clean...it was. Started culling the images and saw a repetitive mark.....1DX36871 copy 2.jpg

Have seen plenty of boogers in my short time of photography but none that look like what I circled. Is that an oil smudge on the rear element of the lens? The lens I used was a 300 f/2.8 L. Last time I used the lens I had swapped the Circular Polarizer into it. It is very possible that I may have put a grubby finger or three on the clear one while swapping it into the lens.

VIP

Re: Sensor booger or??

In my experience it is more likely something on the sensor than a fingerprint on the front of the lens.

I'm curious why the image looks like it does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Occasional Contributor

Looks like a dust bunny AKA sensor dust

Forum Elite

"I'm curious why the image looks like it does."

Color negative of a motorcycle rider with a pole going through him!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

How does one get a color negative from a 1D X Mark III. I am not familiar with how to do that.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

VIP

The vertical bar appears to a pole that is BEHIND the rider.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Forum Elite

"How does one get a color negative from a 1D X Mark III. I am not familiar with how to do that."

Photoshop!  Smiley Happy  It doesn't care what DSLR you have, it will make a color negative and it can remove the pole from the rider, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

Thanks. I don’t use Photoshop and aren’t familiar with all its capabilities.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH