cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor booger or??

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

Have a 1DX Mark III. Absolutely in love with it. Spent Friday & Saturday evenings at the local motocross track. Needless to say gear is filthy. Need to take the bag the camera/lens is in out to the garage and use the shop vac to get all the silt off of it before opening the bag and cleaning the camera/lens. Prior to mounting the lens I did a test shot on a white piece of paper to verify the sensor was clean...it was. Started culling the images and saw a repetitive mark.....1DX36871 copy 2.jpg

Have seen plenty of boogers in my short time of photography but none that look like what I circled. Is that an oil smudge on the rear element of the lens? The lens I used was a 300 f/2.8 L. Last time I used the lens I had swapped the Circular Polarizer into it. It is very possible that I may have put a grubby finger or three on the clear one while swapping it into the lens.

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In my experience it is more likely something on the sensor than a fingerprint on the front of the lens.

I'm curious why the image looks like it does.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I'm curious why the image looks like it does."

Color negative of a motorcycle rider with a pole going through him!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

xdm92013
Contributor

Looks like a dust bunny AKA sensor dust

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
How does one get a color negative from a 1D X Mark III. I am not familiar with how to do that.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"How does one get a color negative from a 1D X Mark III. I am not familiar with how to do that."

Photoshop!  Smiley Happy  It doesn't care what DSLR you have, it will make a color negative and it can remove the pole from the rider, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The vertical bar appears to a pole that is BEHIND the rider.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Thanks. I don’t use Photoshop and aren’t familiar with all its capabilities.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements