cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor and viewfinder cleaning

Chasingthelight
Contributor

I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem with Canon.

I just bought a brand new 5dmii (may 9th, 2013) and my first shot had spots (extended exposure shot at f22). I continued to use the new camera and within a few days black specks appeared in the view finder. I called Canon and was instructed to send the camera in for a warranted repair. The paperwork that came back with the camera said that foreign material was found in the sensor assembly and that the sensor assembly was cleaned. I checked some new shots and the spots were still there (the ones in the view finder were gone but the same ones on the photos remained). I again called Canon and was told to send it back to their Newport News facility once again. 

After sending it in the second time I got it back and now there are 10 times as many spots as before (79 plus) and a black speck in the view finder has returned. I called Canon back and was basically told that dust is not a problem and that they will try again but I just may have to live with it. I explained that to me this was a flaw with the new camera since the very first shot had spots (FYI when I put the lens on for the first time I pointed the camera body down, attached it quickly and did not take it off). I also explained that if I had caused the issue I would not be complaining, however, the camera came to me like this and was brand new. I asked if they could exchange this one for a new one (remember I have had the camera less than 30 days) and they told me no. I was told that I would need to send it to a New Jersey Factory repair facility since the Newport News facility could not get it clean.  I asked what would happen if it still came back with spots and viewfinder specks and was told that I would have to send it in again. 

At this point I am so frustrated that I do not know what to do. I have been such a Canon advocate and have two 7Ds, two 70-300 L lenses, a 6D, two 24-105 L lenses and have never had these types of issues. I have boxed up my new 5dmii and will be sending it out to New Jersey, however, I was wondering if anyone has had a terrible experience like this before.

10 REPLIES 10

I am also a CPS member, for a long time now.  Everything I have ever sent in for cleeanings, some of them for free, has come back looking like a new camera.  Even the outside!

I don't know whether CPS makes a difference or not since I have never used any other source.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements