cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Camera

ScottS
Enthusiast

It has been quite awhile since I have posted on the Canon Forum. Much has happened since I last did. 

I own a Canon 6D and a 40D (yes, it is still going!) I love my 6D. With it are a handful of quality lenses:

Canon 135mm f/2 (Just purchased in May and LOVE it!)

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 24-105mm f/4

Canon 16-35mm f/4

Canon 50mm /f1.8

I recently did my very first Senior Portrait shoot, and it went great! The student (one of my former band students) was amazing and we got a bunch of great pics.

My question now is this: with that limited focusing of the 6D (great for low light nothing moving), but not so great quick AF, I am considering a 5D Mark III or IV.

However....like for everyone $$$

I'm considering going the other way: the Canon 77D. I know that is a crop sensor, APS-C camera. But the AF sounds amazing. Truly would like to go "up" rather than "crop" (not "down," I know, but the IQ and the light gathering of FF really makes me happy)

So I am open to input on those who own two FF vs. one FF and a solid APS-C, like the 77D or the 80D. I know that money would be easier going "down" in price. But in the long term...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Scott S

25 REPLIES 25

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Scott S,

"I own a Canon 6D and a 40D"

You are replacing the 40D, right?  The 80D is the way to go if you are. You would rather go all FF? And you "love" your 6D, the 6D MK II is the way to go.  It looks like you already have your answers don't you?

After doing photography for a full lifetime, let me tell you nobody hits all the time.  Everybody has "throw aways" no matter what gear you use. With today's current crop of photographic gear there are no really bad choices and no perfect choices.  Also, don't buy into the ole inner web hype you have to have a certain camera for a certain subject.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scott S,

You are replacing the 40D, right?  The 80D is the way to go if you are. You would rather go all FF? And you "love" your 6D, the 6D MK II is the way to go.  It looks like you already have your answers don't you?

After doing photography for a full lifetime, let me tell you nobody hits all the time.  Everybody has "throw aways" no matter what gear you use. With today's current crop of photographic gear there are no really bad choices and no perfect choices.  Also, don't buy into the ole inner web hype you have to have a certain camera for a certain subject.  

Hi Ernie!

How are you? Always appreciate your wisdom AND your direct approach. I can tell you are a true photographer, and a man of his word. You named my exact quandary. Needs answering by me, yours truly. If I am replacing the Canon 40D, then as you suggest it would seem the Canon 80D is a solid "answer."

If I am wanting to upgrade and love the Canon 6D, it seems that a 6D2 may be a solid "answer."

That is my challenge point. At this moment ($$$ not even the issue, which it is for now but eventually will not be, because I will wait until I can follow my heart, no matter which way I go)

You are a pro. You possess a 1DX and a 1D Mark IV. Clearly gear HAS been a consideration for you. But I could not agree more ~ because I have a ton more experience as a photographer than I did the last time I posted on the Canon Forum last year. It's the photographer, not the gear, that makes the shot.

Within reason of course. But a photographer with tons of skill who has the gear to "allow" for the creative and great shot: can make a huge difference, too. Not sure I'm there yet. My senior portraits turned out great! But I did have throw aways. I appreciated your comment about that. Very reassuring. Sincerely, thank-you! It's easy to think it's just ourselves, but others have those "toss out pics, too!"

You have gone up, up, up to the 1D Level. It's hard for me to answer this question: Would moving "up" to the 5D series get me thinking in new ways, trying new things, and advance my photography at a higher level? Perhaps not. But perhaps so. I can honestly say that my 40D has captured some of my best images. But when I went FF to my 6D, I started seeing things in new ways, and had opportunities that I had not had with the 40D. And to be honest, my photography went way up. Most of my best images now are with that FF.

So...back to you (thanks for letting me philosophize in front of you ;)!!). Your move "up" to the 1D's must have impacted your photography at levels that I am nowhere near at this point as a hobbyist (impassioned) photographer. I know I'm not "ready" or "worthy" of the 1D level of technology, because I wouldn't understand its nuances yet. 

So for Scott S, the question seems to be "readiness" as well as "Jing$$$." 

But in your opinion: The Canon 80D is solid? The Canon 6D2 is solid?

Thanks for your time, Ernie!

All my Best!

Scott S 🙂

Whoa, I don't know I deserve all that but thanx anyway.

"But in your opinion: The Canon 80D is solid? The Canon 6D2 is solid?"

I think the EOS 80D with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon is one of the best kept secrets in all of photography.  I was entirely impressed when I got to try one.  So much so I considered buying an 80D just to be able to use that lens.

IMHO, the biggest difference you will see between the 6D Mk II and a 5D Mk III and even the Mk IV will be the build. Real world, not laboratory.  All these are very capable cameras that make beautiful pictures.  Of course when you get right down to just which one is the best, the Mk IV is going to come out on top.  Will it show up in the work you do?    Maybe, you have to answer that. That is the 64k question, isn't it?

You know going through the years, back in the late 50's when I was using a pair of Augus C3's (I still have them) was totally impressed and happy.  Now I have a 1DX and guess what, I am still happy.  Am I any happier?  ____________

If it is working for you use it, if not change something.  Go with what you know, you like the 6D, most likely you will also like the 6D Mk II.

Oh, a little tidbit for you.  I ran into a Kansas City Star photographer a few weeks ago while on a shoot.  She was still using a 40D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ScottS wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scott S,

Hi Ernie!

How are you? Always appreciate your wisdom AND your direct approach. I can tell you are a true photographer, and a man of his word. You named my exact quandary. Needs answering by me, yours truly. If I am replacing the Canon 40D, then as you suggest it would seem the Canon 80D is a solid "answer."

If I am wanting to upgrade and love the Canon 6D, it seems that a 6D2 may be a solid "answer."

That is my challenge point. At this moment ($$$ not even the issue, which it is for now but eventually will not be, because I will wait until I can follow my heart, no matter which way I go)

You are a pro. You possess a 1DX and a 1D Mark IV. Clearly gear HAS been a consideration for you. But I could not agree more ~ because I have a ton more experience as a photographer than I did the last time I posted on the Canon Forum last year. It's the photographer, not the gear, that makes the shot.

Within reason of course. But a photographer with tons of skill who has the gear to "allow" for the creative and great shot: can make a huge difference, too. Not sure I'm there yet. My senior portraits turned out great! But I did have throw aways. I appreciated your comment about that. Very reassuring. Sincerely, thank-you! It's easy to think it's just ourselves, but others have those "toss out pics, too!"

You have gone up, up, up to the 1D Level. It's hard for me to answer this question: Would moving "up" to the 5D series get me thinking in new ways, trying new things, and advance my photography at a higher level? Perhaps not. But perhaps so. I can honestly say that my 40D has captured some of my best images. But when I went FF to my 6D, I started seeing things in new ways, and had opportunities that I had not had with the 40D. And to be honest, my photography went way up. Most of my best images now are with that FF.

So...back to you (thanks for letting me philosophize in front of you ;)!!). Your move "up" to the 1D's must have impacted your photography at levels that I am nowhere near at this point as a hobbyist (impassioned) photographer. I know I'm not "ready" or "worthy" of the 1D level of technology, because I wouldn't understand its nuances yet. 

All my Best!

Scott S 🙂

I think you get the point. Better equipment will make any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good the photographer already is. The better one already is, the more difference better equipment makes. If an inexperienced photographer buys better equipment, the effect may take longer to show up; but it may enable him/her to go longer before upgrading again.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scott S,

Hi Ernie!

All my Best!

Scott S 🙂

I think you get the point. Better equipment will make any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good the photographer already is. The better one already is, the more difference better equipment makes. If an inexperienced photographer buys better equipment, the effect may take longer to show up; but it may enable him/her to go longer before upgrading again.

Hey Bob! And that is exactly my thought! Grow INTO or learn MORE through adding to the possibilities! So many good thoughts on this thread! Using what we already own, and savoring that ~ is solid. "Risking" growing through the addition of features as well as our own photographic skills ~ is solid. Both paths work, it seems to me!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Also, don't buy into the ole inner web hype you have to have a certain camera for a certain subject.  

It it is not “inner web hype.”  It is your hype.  You are the only one around here who says that you must have a certain camera for certain subjects,  Everything is always an absollute for you.  

Actually, people talk about how certain bodies are better suited for certain tasks, while others are not.  This is why Canon makes a variety of models.  Everyone has different needs, and people point out the differences between models.

You even do it yourself, believe it or not.  Case in point, your recommendations on what tasks are ideal for a 5DS or 5DSr, and which tasks those bodies would not be the best choice: i.e; hand held, action photography.  If someone does want a camera body for action photography, then your primary recommendation, if not your only, is the 7D Mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements