cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Camera

ScottS
Enthusiast

It has been quite awhile since I have posted on the Canon Forum. Much has happened since I last did. 

I own a Canon 6D and a 40D (yes, it is still going!) I love my 6D. With it are a handful of quality lenses:

Canon 135mm f/2 (Just purchased in May and LOVE it!)

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 24-105mm f/4

Canon 16-35mm f/4

Canon 50mm /f1.8

I recently did my very first Senior Portrait shoot, and it went great! The student (one of my former band students) was amazing and we got a bunch of great pics.

My question now is this: with that limited focusing of the 6D (great for low light nothing moving), but not so great quick AF, I am considering a 5D Mark III or IV.

However....like for everyone $$$

I'm considering going the other way: the Canon 77D. I know that is a crop sensor, APS-C camera. But the AF sounds amazing. Truly would like to go "up" rather than "crop" (not "down," I know, but the IQ and the light gathering of FF really makes me happy)

So I am open to input on those who own two FF vs. one FF and a solid APS-C, like the 77D or the 80D. I know that money would be easier going "down" in price. But in the long term...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Scott S

25 REPLIES 25

I have watched this with interest and have only a couple of comments.

1. You can't expect to get 100% or anywhere near that if you are picky about your photos, especially the less control you have over the shooting environment.  I don't do portraits (which is why I held back), but I do wildlife and that has a success ratio because of the light and the movement of the animals - it can be quite challenging getting a full-grown grizzly to cooperate!

2. I agree that if you are seeking to upgrade both bodies and you have a FF and a crop body, and if that format works for you, then I would go with the 80D (it's a great camera it too has a full-time level).  I am not familiar with the 6D2 so will leave that to others.  I do have a 5dIII and love it.

3. There is some value to be had from getting a newly superceded model, if you don't need or will make use of the absolute latest tech.  Waiting until the new 7DIII or the much-touted mirrorless FF body to come out will inevitably drop the prices of the previous models, which - let's face it - are still great cameras.

4. Tech may make you a bit better but in the end technique trumps tech and it's free! Smiley LOL

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"... let's face it - are still great cameras."

How come so many people can not see this. It is like they think when a new model comes out there old one stops working. It doesn't it is still just as good as it ever was.

Great point!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... let's face it - are still great cameras."

How come so many people can not see this. It is like they think when a new model comes out there old one stops working. It doesn't it is still just as good as it ever was.

Great point!

Amen.

I'll let people know when my wallet starts to look fuller (metaphor, metaphor...it's all debit cards now for me!) and I make a move! Truly appreciate all the wisdom, banter, and jabber on this thread! Truly thanks to ALL of you for sharing your thoughts! 

@Tronhard wrote:

I have watched this with interest and have only a couple of comments.

1. You can't expect to get 100% or anywhere near that if you are picky about your photos, especially the less control you have over the shooting environment.  I don't do portraits (which is why I held back), but I do wildlife and that has a success ratio because of the light and the movement of the animals - it can be quite challenging getting a full-grown grizzly to cooperate!

2. I agree that if you are seeking to upgrade both bodies and you have a FF and a crop body, and if that format works for you, then I would go with the 80D (it's a great camera it too has a full-time level).  I am not familiar with the 6D2 so will leave that to others.  I do have a 5dIII and love it.

3. There is some value to be had from getting a newly superceded model, if you don't need or will make use of the absolute latest tech.  Waiting until the new 7DIII or the much-touted mirrorless FF body to come out will inevitably drop the prices of the previous models, which - let's face it - are still great cameras.

4. Tech may make you a bit better but in the end technique trumps tech and it's free! Smiley LOL

Thanks for this share! I may hold out (#3) for now for those exact reasons. And I agree with Ernie ~ the old stuff is not LESS good when new stuff comes out. But I really am coveting the 5D III for what I've read about it :)!!

" I really am coveting the 5D III ..."

Great camera. It made me a lot of money. I am not sure, haven't checked, that it is still available new.  Maybe some NOS cameras out there, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I really am coveting the 5D III ..."

Great camera. It made me a lot of money. I am not sure, haven't checked, that it is still available new.  Maybe some NOS cameras out there, though.

Thanks for that reminder, Ernie!

I'll be checking on that!

🙂 Scott S

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

Thanks for your insights, Bob!

How do you like the 5D4? Any specific improvements from the 5D3 that you consider game-changers? I've been wondering about which of those two to choose if I go "up" in my FF arsenal. Seems the pricing is almost unbelievably similar these days. I've seen a difference of around $300 typically!

Scott S

Actually there is one, which was completely unexpected. (I guess I didn't read the specs carefully enough.) The 5D4 displays a full-time electronic level in the viewfinder that warns you if you have the horizon tilted or if you're pointing the camera up or down. Previous cameras that I've owned had an electronic level, but you had to let it take over the LCD screen (clumsy) or rely on tilting of the red autofocus squares (hard to read accurately). I think the new feature is a big improvement.

It's also nice to be able to synchronize the time with your computer via WiFi instead of plugging in a USB cable, but that's not in the same class with the level.

Thanks for sharing this tech feature, Bob! 

@shadowsports wrote:

ScottS,

If you are considering APS-C, an 80D is the only way to go. 

Then again, I agree with the wait and see whats coming from Canon.

Its possible the 5D4 will drop in price once Canon releases its first mirrorless.  Might not be dramatic, but will be some I'm sure. 

I'd hang tight.  But thats just me.  

@shadowsports wrote:

ScottS,

If you are considering APS-C, an 80D is the only way to go. 

Then again, I agree with the wait and see whats coming from Canon.

Its possible the 5D4 will drop in price once Canon releases its first mirrorless.  Might not be dramatic, but will be some I'm sure. 

I'd hang tight.  But thats just me.  

Thanks for your input, Rick! I appreciate your insights. Do you own an 80D? If so, how are you finding the IQ? I tend to agree from everything that I've read, that the 80D is definitely a "cut above" the 77D.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D3 and 5D4 are good choices, but you want to know what else is out there.  The 5D Series are all around workhorses.  The 7D2 almost falls into that category, too, but it is better suited for action photographers than wedding photographers.

I would not knock the AF system in the 6D for when it comes to action photography, though.  For most action photography, you want a high SS, which frequently means ISO gets raised, too, something which the 6D is good at.  I have used the 6D for sports photography without any issues.  Friday Night Lights, are no problem.  At its’ currently selling price, the 6D is a steal.

If you like the 6D, then you would probably dislike the 77D, which should have been named T7s, IMHO.  The 77D lacks a few key features that are found in the 80D.  And, the AF system is slightly downgraded version of that found in the 80D.

If you like the low light performance of the 6D, then you would probably be disappointed with the 7D2.  The only time I use mine is outdoors, on bright sunny days.  The highest ISO I use is 800.  At ISO 1600 I find myself reaching for Noise Reduction sliders in post.

If you like the low light performance of the 6D, then you will be surprised by the 80D.  It falls midway between the 7D2 and 6D when it comes to low noise.  The 80D is pretty good at ISO 1600.  It has an AF system that is probably more sensitive than that found in the 7D2.

If you like the 6D, then you would love the 6D2.  The 6D2 has the next generation AF system found in the 80D, and the low noise performance found in the 6D.  The 6D2 also has a couple of feature not found in the 6D.  One feature I like about it is that you can dial in exposure compensation in Manual mode.  The 30% increase in resolution is the best improvement.

As others have noted, the Canon lineup seems to be “stuck between clubs” right now.  There is a technological leap in performance looming just over the horizon.  I cannot say what type of improvements are coming, but a 7D3 is going to have some large boots to fill.  

When it comes to Image Quality, both the 80D and 6D2 easily beat the 7D2 when it comes to noise.  They also have the next generation DPAF sensors, which give it a definite edge over the 7D2, which has a first generation version of the sensor technology.

If I needed a camera today, then I would go for the 80D or 6D2.  But, you have two working cameras, so you really do not need a camera today.  It might be wise to wait and see what Canon has to offer, because as others have noted, the price of current gear may drop slightly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 5D3 and 5D4 are good choices, but you want to know what else is out there.  The 5D Series are all around workhorses.  The 7D2 almost falls into that category, too, but it is better suited for action photographers than wedding photographers.

I would not knock the AF system in the 6D for when it comes to action photography, though.  For most action photography, you want a high SS, which frequently means ISO gets raised, too, something which the 6D is good at.  I have used the 6D for sports photography without any issues.  Friday Night Lights, are no problem.  At its’ currently selling price, the 6D is a steal.

If you like the 6D, then you would probably dislike the 77D, which should have been named T7s, IMHO.  The 77D lacks a few key features that are found in the 80D.  And, the AF system is slightly downgraded version of that found in the 80D.

If you like the low light performance of the 6D, then you would probably be disappointed with the 7D2.  The only time I use mine is outdoors, on bright sunny days.  The highest ISO I use is 800.  At ISO 1600 I find myself reaching for Noise Reduction sliders in post.

If you like the low light performance of the 6D, then you will be surprised by the 80D.  It falls midway between the 7D2 and 6D when it comes to low noise.  The 80D is pretty good at ISO 1600.  It has an AF system that is probably more sensitive than that found in the 7D2.

If you like the 6D, then you would love the 6D2.  The 6D2 has the next generation AF system found in the 80D, and the low noise performance found in the 6D.  The 6D2 also has a couple of feature not found in the 6D.  One feature I like about it is that you can dial in exposure compensation in Manual mode.  The 30% increase in resolution is the best improvement.

As others have noted, the Canon lineup seems to be “stuck between clubs” right now.  There is a technological leap in performance looming just over the horizon.  I cannot say what type of improvements are coming, but a 7D3 is going to have some large boots to fill.  

When it comes to Image Quality, both the 80D and 6D2 easily beat the 7D2 when it comes to noise.  They also have the next generation DPAF sensors, which give it a definite edge over the 7D2, which has a first generation version of the sensor technology.

If I needed a camera today, then I would go for the 80D or 6D2.  But, you have two working cameras, so you really do not need a camera today.  It might be wise to wait and see what Canon has to offer, because as others have noted, the price of current gear may drop slightly.

Thanks for your thorough share, Waddizzle! You've replied to me many times over the years, and I appreciate your wisdom! I've also read great things about the 6D2! And I am feeling that the IQ is just too important to me, along with low light situations that I keep finding myself in ~ to justify a 7DII. However, I do keep hearing great things about that camera.

I have a love for my 6D for its weight and IQ and low light and portraiture capacities. I shoot travel photography in India with our tours. They include landscape (of course!), candid portraiture, posed portraiture (Indian Classical Formal Concert), and action (driving on mountain roads, running from leopard (J/K!), and crossing rivers.

I've read over and over again how the weight of the 6D is great for travel. That is what nudged me toward it over the 5D series initially. Well, and money$$$

But now that there could possibly be a glut of senior portraiture photography in my future (think students' word of mouth spreading like wildfire that "Mr. S" now shoots seniors) may require me to assure myself of solid AF. Quick and accurate with fewer missed moments. I know that the weight of the 5D III and IV is greater than the 6D from what I've read. 

Your 6D2 thoughts are compelling. I just wonder if I would be served better by the 5D III or IV moving forward?

For travel, I just feel like I've found the Holy Grail in the original 6D (or II had it been available when I popped for the 6D!)

Thanks for your input!

Scott S

Announcements