cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Camera

ScottS
Enthusiast

It has been quite awhile since I have posted on the Canon Forum. Much has happened since I last did. 

I own a Canon 6D and a 40D (yes, it is still going!) I love my 6D. With it are a handful of quality lenses:

Canon 135mm f/2 (Just purchased in May and LOVE it!)

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Canon 24-105mm f/4

Canon 16-35mm f/4

Canon 50mm /f1.8

I recently did my very first Senior Portrait shoot, and it went great! The student (one of my former band students) was amazing and we got a bunch of great pics.

My question now is this: with that limited focusing of the 6D (great for low light nothing moving), but not so great quick AF, I am considering a 5D Mark III or IV.

However....like for everyone $$$

I'm considering going the other way: the Canon 77D. I know that is a crop sensor, APS-C camera. But the AF sounds amazing. Truly would like to go "up" rather than "crop" (not "down," I know, but the IQ and the light gathering of FF really makes me happy)

So I am open to input on those who own two FF vs. one FF and a solid APS-C, like the 77D or the 80D. I know that money would be easier going "down" in price. But in the long term...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Scott S

25 REPLIES 25

lly3988
Rising Star

Have you consider waiting for a while ?

Canon will announce full frame mirrorless soon.

Thanks for your response, lly!

Are you familiar with mirrorless? I've read about them, and know one person who owns one, but not much else.

Is the IQ there with the Full Frames?

Thanks for sharing this thought!

Scott S

ScottS,

If you are considering APS-C, an 80D is the only way to go. 

Then again, I agree with the wait and see whats coming from Canon.

Its possible the 5D4 will drop in price once Canon releases its first mirrorless.  Might not be dramatic, but will be some I'm sure. 

I'd hang tight.  But thats just me.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

ScottS,

Its possible the 5D4 will drop in price once Canon releases its first mirrorless.  Might not be dramatic, but will be some I'm sure. 

The FF mirrorless may also produce a glut of refurbished 5D3's.

In answer to your original question, I'll cast a vote for going with a second FF camera. Canon's EF lenses are offered in focal lengths that generally fit better with FF than with APS-C cameras. And the FF cameras' better low-light performance also argues in their favor.

Full disclosure: Earlier this year I bought a 5D4 to go with my 4-year-old 5D3, completing my transition to FF. I still have one 7D, which my wife and I share as a backup camera. (Her main camera is a 7D Mark II.) I gave my other 7D to my daughter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have quite a bit of gear, including the 5DIII,  7D, 7DII, 80D, M5 (MILC).  I got the EOS M5 (which it is touted has a performance roughtly equivalent to 80D) simply because I was injured and could not carry anything serious for a long period.   While I like the M5 for what it is I also must say that it has its own mount (EF-M) so you would have to buy EF-M lenses unless you choose to use the adaptor with the M5 for your EF lenses.  Personally I think that unbalances the light body with the bulkier, heavier lens+adaptor combination, so you may as well go with the 80D if you want an APS-C body.   One other thought... strong rumour has it that there is a 7DIII coming out in September.  If that is so you may expect a flurry of used 7DII's on the market.  It is a great camera, and is weather and dust resistant, but the 80D is a newer model.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for your insights, Tronhard!

That IS a lot of gear! Life is short! Why not :)?!

If you were shooting portraiture (Senior Pics) or an event (Wedding, Reunion) what would you bring along?

I'm really "proud" of my Canon 40D for still making me work to get the right shot and then delivering. Tougher than with my 6D, though. I'm such a low light, IQ thinking person, that I'm leaning to a FF. But I keep hearing great things about the 7D Mark II as well. A professioinal wedding photographer friend of mine has the 5D3, 5D4, 7DII, and an old 40D. I should ask him, too, what he brings to a shoot.

I'm not a professional, nor are wedding gis in my near future. But after this senior photography shoot, I'm feeling that I might just get asked by more former students. The AF on the 6D worked for most shots, but made me nervous. The light-gathering and IQ was amazing when I "hit it." But there were some throw-outs. And my secret belief is that 40+ AF points on the 5D series would solve that.

Thoughts on your gear for those purposes?

Thanks!

Scott S

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

ScottS,

The FF mirrorless may also produce a glut of refurbished 5D3's.

In answer to your original question, I'll cast a vote for going with a second FF camera. Canon's EF lenses are offered in focal lengths that generally fit better with FF than with APS-C cameras. And the FF cameras' better low-light performance also argues in their favor.

Full disclosure: Earlier this year I bought a 5D4 to go with my 4-year-old 5D3, completing my transition to FF. I still have one 7D, which my wife and I share as a backup camera. (Her main camera is a 7D Mark II.) I gave my other 7D to my daughter.

Thanks for your insights, Bob!

How do you like the 5D4? Any specific improvements from the 5D3 that you consider game-changers? I've been wondering about which of those two to choose if I go "up" in my FF arsenal. Seems the pricing is almost unbelievably similar these days. I've seen a difference of around $300 typically!

Scott S

@ScottS wrote:

How do you like the 5D4? Any specific improvements from the 5D3 that you consider game-changers? I've been wondering about which of those two to choose if I go "up" in my FF arsenal. Seems the pricing is almost unbelievably similar these days. I've seen a difference of around $300 typically!

Scott S

Actually there is one, which was completely unexpected. (I guess I didn't read the specs carefully enough.) The 5D4 displays a full-time electronic level in the viewfinder that warns you if you have the horizon tilted or if you're pointing the camera up or down. Previous cameras that I've owned had an electronic level, but you had to let it take over the LCD screen (clumsy) or rely on tilting of the red autofocus squares (hard to read accurately). I think the new feature is a big improvement.

It's also nice to be able to synchronize the time with your computer via WiFi instead of plugging in a USB cable, but that's not in the same class with the level.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottS wrote:

Scott S

Actually there is one, which was completely unexpected. (I guess I didn't read the specs carefully enough.) The 5D4 displays a full-time electronic level in the viewfinder that warns you if you have the horizon tilted or if you're pointing the camera up or down. Previous cameras that I've owned had an electronic level, but you had to let it take over the LCD screen (clumsy) or rely on tilting of the red autofocus squares (hard to read accurately). I think the new feature is a big improvement.

It's also nice to be able to synchronize the time with your computer via WiFi instead of plugging in a USB cable, but that's not in the same class with the level.

The 6D2 has a viewfinder level, too.  The primary differences between a 6D2 and a 5D4 are build: body frame; body sealing; sensor resolution; and shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements