cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving raw photos

Steigy4827
Contributor
I have a eos m100 and only shoot in raw. I transfer all of my photos to my iPhone with the canon camera connect app and it appears to only save in jpg format at a resolution of 2400x1600 and 3.8 mp. I have been saving this way for months not realizing this, then deleting them off my memory card which is frustrating because I have lost all my raw photos. Is there any way to export them in raw besides saving them to my computer? Or a way to recover the full image size? Even when I download them from my iCloud onto my computer they are jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you read Amazon reviews looking for the perfect product, it doesn't exist 🙂  There will always be product failures AND some users are simply absolute morons!  Choose a drive with an overwhelming number of positive reviews and you should be fine.

I have used both WD and Seagate external drives with various systems for years and never had a problem.  But I would still always go with two redundant drives with a second one stored offsite (your office, bank, relative, etc.) which greatly reduces the possibility of data loss due to equipment failure, fire, or theft. 

I did a lot of enterprise risk management consulting over the years and driving risk down to absolute zero is impossible and extremely close to zero isn't practical but a pair of redundant drives in separate locations provides a very good probability of safety for your important files.  The most important thing is you must follow a regular schedule in creating these redundant copies and if a problem occurs with one drive, make a backup of it using another system before trying it on the system where the other drive failed.

Many people never make any sort of backup and get away with it but risk management is like buying insurance; by the time you realize you need it then it is too late to do anything about the problem.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Steigy4827
Contributor
Just as a hobby mostly but I do sell prints as well so only having a 4mp image really restricts the quality and size I can print. And I’ve shot tons of astrophotography in raw so I can stack and edit so that really sucks. I just bought an external hd so I can free my computers memory and start transferring that way. Just sucks that the camera connect doesn’t transfer raw because it is so quick and easy

Steigy4827
Contributor
Could just be an iPhone issue though

Steigy4827
Contributor
My wd hd just came in. Since I’m going to have to tranfer all my files from my computer and then delete them, any recommendations on tests I can do to make sure the hd is all good to go or like a time period I should use it and be sure it’s solid before deleting the files off the pc?

I really hate relying upon a single storage source for any important files.  When I was finishing my doctoral dissertation back in floppy disc days I had three sets each for the dissertation itself and the data and they were stored in different physical locations.  Some things you really don't want to have to recreate and I will never forget the accounting doc student who stopped to pick up a pizza on the way home and her single set of dissertation data tapes was stolen from her locked vehicle during that 5 minute stop.  They got all of her audio cassettes also and probably thought those big IBM tapes were studio masters 😞

I would give your new drive at least 2 weeks but my risk management side says factor in the price of a second drive versus the value you place on the images and I think you will be back online with Amazon soon!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I would agree strongly with Rodger.  It's not just a HD failure to consider, but all sorts of other bad things that can happen.  Fire damage, theft, accidental misplacement in the trash by one of my kids... 🙂   Lots of stuff can happen.  I keep galleries on SmugMug of exported files, and RAW files on two HDs, one that I keep at home and one that I keep at work in my desk.  Maybe a little overkill, but after a bad experience losing a year's worth of pics one time, it's worth the little extra hassle.  

billy

Announcements