cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving raw photos

Steigy4827
Contributor
I have a eos m100 and only shoot in raw. I transfer all of my photos to my iPhone with the canon camera connect app and it appears to only save in jpg format at a resolution of 2400x1600 and 3.8 mp. I have been saving this way for months not realizing this, then deleting them off my memory card which is frustrating because I have lost all my raw photos. Is there any way to export them in raw besides saving them to my computer? Or a way to recover the full image size? Even when I download them from my iCloud onto my computer they are jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you read Amazon reviews looking for the perfect product, it doesn't exist 🙂  There will always be product failures AND some users are simply absolute morons!  Choose a drive with an overwhelming number of positive reviews and you should be fine.

I have used both WD and Seagate external drives with various systems for years and never had a problem.  But I would still always go with two redundant drives with a second one stored offsite (your office, bank, relative, etc.) which greatly reduces the possibility of data loss due to equipment failure, fire, or theft. 

I did a lot of enterprise risk management consulting over the years and driving risk down to absolute zero is impossible and extremely close to zero isn't practical but a pair of redundant drives in separate locations provides a very good probability of safety for your important files.  The most important thing is you must follow a regular schedule in creating these redundant copies and if a problem occurs with one drive, make a backup of it using another system before trying it on the system where the other drive failed.

Many people never make any sort of backup and get away with it but risk management is like buying insurance; by the time you realize you need it then it is too late to do anything about the problem.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

For future downloads you could use the Apple SD Card Adapter, but how much memory do you have on your iPhone?

2019-06-14.png

There is no way to recover all your RAW images since you have written new images to the card. With file recovery siftware you might be able to recover some (the ones that weren't written over).

You really should be downloading from the SD card to your computer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I agree with John that the computer is where those memory card contents need to go.  High performance SD cards are quite inexpensive now (but get them from someone reputable like B&H because the online market is full of dubious counterfeit cards) so that you don't have to worry about transferring data until you get home from a trip.  

There are dedicated transfer devices that allow you to save AND view the files like the Sanho Hyperdrive but it isn't something that most people need and although the price is reasonable for what it does, it isn't cheap.

Smartphones can accomplish a wide variety of tasks and do some of them well but transfer/storage of high resolution image files isn't something that the vast majority of the target market needs so not surprisingly that isn't a task at which they excel.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Steigy4827
Contributor
My computers memory is completely full from all my pictures already lol. I have the max storage on my iPhone and 2 terabytes iCloud storage, I’m just furious because everything I read said I could store raw files on my iPhone so I’d transfer and delete without realizing they have been just saving as jpg. As of now my phone is my only option for storage so if the transfer device will allow me to actually save as raw I might just have to go that route

If you don't need to transfer photos in the field, the cheapest storage is to use an external hard drive with your current PC.  I have a bunch of 5 terabyte drives, cost around $100 each, and I use them for longer term storage of photos ( two drives per data set so I have a separately located backup just in case).

5 Tb will hold a LOT of RAW files.  8 Terabyte external drives are in the $150 range as SSD prices continue to drive down the cost of mechanical/magnetic storage which is plenty fast for long-term storage of files.  I have two internal regular hard drives and two solid state drives in my HP workstation and I use one of the SS drives when working with RAW files.  Transfer via USB 3 is fast enough for me with these long term storage files and avoids the additional price premium of using Thunderbolt external drives when that level of transfer speed isn't necessary.

Rodger

Steigy4827
Contributor
Any suggestions on reliable hard drives of both types? Reading a lot of mixed reviews and I am terrified of losing any photos and videos because of iffy products

If you read Amazon reviews looking for the perfect product, it doesn't exist 🙂  There will always be product failures AND some users are simply absolute morons!  Choose a drive with an overwhelming number of positive reviews and you should be fine.

I have used both WD and Seagate external drives with various systems for years and never had a problem.  But I would still always go with two redundant drives with a second one stored offsite (your office, bank, relative, etc.) which greatly reduces the possibility of data loss due to equipment failure, fire, or theft. 

I did a lot of enterprise risk management consulting over the years and driving risk down to absolute zero is impossible and extremely close to zero isn't practical but a pair of redundant drives in separate locations provides a very good probability of safety for your important files.  The most important thing is you must follow a regular schedule in creating these redundant copies and if a problem occurs with one drive, make a backup of it using another system before trying it on the system where the other drive failed.

Many people never make any sort of backup and get away with it but risk management is like buying insurance; by the time you realize you need it then it is too late to do anything about the problem.

Rodger

Steigy4827
Contributor
Awesome thank you! Very good idea of keeping two in separate locations!

External HDs are the only way to go.  It is a really bad idea to use a iphone as a storage device.  Icloud or one of the others is really good, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What exactly are you shooting or what for?  It sounds like a big deal so I am curious why you choose a M100?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements