cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sand in my equipment

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
Hello everybody. Alittle bit about my equipment and my problem. I have a 60d, a 70-200L ii, 24-70L ii. I took them atv riding in the desert and I noticed now that there is sand in my equipment (not that I'm surprised. Ok maybe alittle being that Canon claims the L lenses are weather proof). I know sand to be a lens killer but my question is this. I purchased all the equipment I have more than a year ago so its out of warranty. I already tried sending out to a 3rd party cleaner but they wanted 800 dollars to repair it (that's a new camera body for me). Would Canon be able to repair it for cheaper? Or am I royally screwed and need to pay 800 dollars? Thank in advance
17 REPLIES 17

@AviRock wrote:
I didnt make the camera and i dont know how to make it but i do know how to self clean it thats why i askd the company if it is delicate and i am not qulifeid to do the job. im sorry if you miss understood my question but thats your problem.

my two messages above are address to 

ebiggs1

"... but thats your problem."

No it is not my problem. My cameras are clean and you don't have the experience, expertise, to do it yourself.  Bottom line! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... but thats your problem."

No it is not my problem. My cameras are clean and you don't have the experience, expertise, to do it yourself.  Bottom line! Smiley Frustrated

Its your problem you didnt understand what i said!

"you don't have the experience, expertise, to do it yourself" You dont know who i am and how i look or what my expertise are either so how could you say i cant do it my self? you might not have the "experience, expertise, to do it yourself" that doesnt meen i dont.

Besides that the question i wrote first was not addressd to you thay were addresd to an expert and that certanly doasnt meen you as you just make assumtion "you don't have the experience, expertise, to do it yourself" so i wanst addressing to you and dont get involved. i didnt rilize you work for canonSmiley Tongue

Thank you  but no thank you 

"Do you offer that service and if yes how much would it be. i would prefer going through canon service."

This suggest you do not have the "experience, expertise, to do it yourself".

"...the question i wrote first was not addressd to you..."

When you put my name on a post it is addressed to me. If you don't want or like the opinions or answers you get on a forum, don't ask a question. The is a public Canon forum. It isn't the Canon company. There are ways to connect with them. 1 (800) 652-2666  Except for some moderators we are not Canon employees.  None of us just plain ole guys and gals.

You'er welcome!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Firstly canon made the camera so yes i would prefere to go through them secondly i wrote my question on the forum so if anyone els had that problem they will see what the reply was from canon not from you!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Do you offer that service and if yes how much would it be. i would prefer going through canon service."

This suggest you do not have the "experience, expertise, to do it yourself".

"...the question i wrote first was not addressd to you..."

When you put my name on a post it is addressed to me. If you don't want or like the opinions or answers you get on a forum, don't ask a question. The is a public Canon forum. It isn't the Canon company. There are ways to connect with them. 1 (800) 652-2666  Except for some moderators we are not Canon employees.  None of us just plain ole guys and gals.

You'er welcome!

AviRock
Contributor
There are sprays but none of them work. It happens to me at the beach so not as bad. If ok imigt self clean

John_SD
Whiz

@Tsleel2811 wrote:
I have a 60d, a 70-200L ii, 24-70L ii. I took them atv riding in the desert and I noticed now that there is sand in my equipment... 

I'm in SoCal and shoot in the desert often -- usually the Anza-Borrego, the Mojave National Preserve, or out at Joshua Tree. I have never messed up a lens or gotten sand on a sensor, though I am on foot and not on an ATV.

You didn't provide enough info in your posts for anyone to offer specific advice, so I'll just offer some general guidelines for desert shooting. Keep your lenses in zip lock baggies, even if you carry a bag or backpack. Don't sit in the sand to change a lens, if you can avoid it. Sit on a large boulder, a log, or something that gives you some distance from the sand, if possible, but be careful. Don't change a lens while the the desert winds are blowing (easier said than done, I know). Keep some sort of protective filter on your lenses if out in the desert. And the best piece of advice is not to change your lenses at all in the desert. This requires thought and preplanning about what you want to shoot. Or you can just ride around on an ATV with various lenses and swap them in and out, shooting this, that and the other. An expensive lesson learned, I'd say, though it was entirely avoidable.

@John_SD wrote:

@Tsleel2811 wrote:
I have a 60d, a 70-200L ii, 24-70L ii. I took them atv riding in the desert and I noticed now that there is sand in my equipment... 

I'm in SoCal and shoot in the desert often -- usually the Anza-Borrego, the Mojave National Preserve, or out at Joshua Tree. I have never messed up a lens or gotten sand on a sensor, though I am on foot and not on an ATV.

You didn't provide enough info in your posts for anyone to offer specific advice, so I'll just offer some general guidelines for desert shooting. Keep your lenses in zip lock baggies, even if you carry a bag or backpack. Don't sit in the sand to change a lens, if you can avoid it. Sit on a large boulder, a log, or something that gives you some distance from the sand, if possible, but be careful. Don't change a lens while the the desert winds are blowing (easier said than done, I know). Keep some sort of protective filter on your lenses if out in the desert. And the best piece of advice is not to change your lenses at all in the desert. This requires thought and preplanning about what you want to shoot. Or you can just ride around on an ATV with various lenses and swap them in and out, shooting this, that and the other. An expensive lesson learned, I'd say, though it was entirely avoidable.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

My camera isnt a eos, its a powershot sx530.

And i took it to the beach,and a lot of sand got in the camera and i wanted the camera to be cleared through. Do you offer that service and if yes how much would it be. i would prefer going through canon service.

Thanks

AviRock

Announcements