cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sand in my equipment

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
Hello everybody. Alittle bit about my equipment and my problem. I have a 60d, a 70-200L ii, 24-70L ii. I took them atv riding in the desert and I noticed now that there is sand in my equipment (not that I'm surprised. Ok maybe alittle being that Canon claims the L lenses are weather proof). I know sand to be a lens killer but my question is this. I purchased all the equipment I have more than a year ago so its out of warranty. I already tried sending out to a 3rd party cleaner but they wanted 800 dollars to repair it (that's a new camera body for me). Would Canon be able to repair it for cheaper? Or am I royally screwed and need to pay 800 dollars? Thank in advance
17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tsleel2811 wrote:
Hello everybody. Alittle bit about my equipment and my problem. I have a 60d, a 70-200L ii, 24-70L ii. I took them atv riding in the desert and I noticed now that there is sand in my equipment (not that I'm surprised. Ok maybe alittle being that Canon claims the L lenses are weather proof). I know sand to be a lens killer but my question is this. I purchased all the equipment I have more than a year ago so its out of warranty. I already tried sending out to a 3rd party cleaner but they wanted 800 dollars to repair it (that's a new camera body for me). Would Canon be able to repair it for cheaper? Or am I royally screwed and need to pay 800 dollars? Thank in advance

I would let Canon clean it, not a third party.  I suggest you spend the money, and chalk up the cost to experience.

Canon gear is not weather proof.  Some items are “resistant against dust and moisture”, but nothing is weather proof.  

How did you get your gear dirty?  I store my lenses and camera bodies in ziplock bags.  I have learned hazards of changing lenses in the field, which is one of the best ways to get dirt and dust inside of your gear.  

Now, I carry two bodies, so that I do not have to switch lenses in the field.  When I know I will be in a “dirty” environment, then I only used sealed zoom lenses that have both internal focusing and zooming,  Or, I will carry a prime, which almost always have internal focusing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Ok maybe alittle being that Canon claims the L lenses are weather proof)."

They don't claim "weather proof" they say weather resistant.  Big difference.  However, some "L" lenses are not even weather resistant at all.

They need to go to Canon service for a C&C.  Even if it is $800 bucks that's cheaper than replacing them.  Don't be surprised if Canon is even higher as they do a much more through and better job than any off brand shop.

This is what cameras/lenses are for.  Use'em and do maintenance just like any other tool you would use.  Don't you do that  for your ATV's?  You can always tell the photographers from the 'wanna be's' by how they use their gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
You just made me seem like an amateur. Gotta step up my game and not complain (rhymes mother****) lol

Tsleel2811
Enthusiast
I got them dirty by just being in that environment. Nothing special. I am to blame though because I swapped lenses in the dust so I can't really complain. I'm just trying to save some money is all. Being that I don't have a huge budget. Thank yoh

AviRock
Contributor
The same happend with me is there any selutions?

AviRock
Contributor
Is it a good idea to self clean it? Or risky?

"Is it a good idea to self clean it?"

No it is not especially from people that have to ask that question!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks i really wanted to here that good information

I didnt make the camera and i dont know how to make it but i do know how to self clean it thats why i askd the company if it is delicate and i am not qulifeid to do the job. im sorry if you miss understood my question but thats your problem.
Announcements