cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SanDisk Extreme PRO 256GB CompactFlash Memory Card UDMA 7 Speed Up To 160MB/s- SDCFXPS-256G-X46

memejo519
Apprentice

Will the compact flash work in my Canon 50d? When I put it in the camera I get a message that the card needs to be formatted. I've tried formatting but nothing happens. 

Can this possibly be the firmware needs updating?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You probably have a card that more space than the camera knows what to deal with.  Try using a reader to format the card, and then try to format it in the camera once again.  If that fails, you need a lower capacity card.....much lower capacity.

[EDIT] You probably need an 2 to 8 GB card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@memejo519 wrote:

Will the compact flash work in my Canon 50d? When I put it in the camera I get a message that the card needs to be formatted. I've tried formatting but nothing happens. 

Can this possibly be the firmware needs updating?

What version firmware does your camera have? The most recent version is 1.0.9 and does update support for newer UDMA 7 cards. If your firmware is not 1.0.9 then yes you need a firmware update.

Firmware Version 1.0.9 incorporates the following changes.
1. Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later.
2. Corrects wording in the Dutch language menu screen

Firmware Version 1.0.9 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.0.8. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.9, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

(Previous) Version 1.0.8 improvements:

1. Improves writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
The reading/writing speeds of UDMA 7-compatible CF cards are the same as UDMA 6 CF cards.
2. Fixes incorrect indications in the Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Arabic, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Thai and Turkish menu screens.

(Previous) Version 1.0.7 improvements:

1. Corrects a phenomenon where captured images may tend to appear somewhat magenta depending on the shooting scene.
If the background has little or no contrast (such as the sky or white walls), and the white balance (WB) setting of the camera is not AWB (Auto White Balance), images may tend to appear somewhat magenta.
2. Fixes incorrect indications on the Arabic, Romanian, Spanish, and Ukrainian menu screens.

(Previous) Version 1.0.6 improvements:

1. Supports the AF assist beam feature of the new flash, Speedlite 270 EX, which was released in April 2009.
In low light situations, the AF assist beam fires during autofocusing. The conditions under which the AF assist beam to will fire have changed in Firmware Version 1.0.5 or later. If the firmware of the camera is version 1.0.3 or earlier, the AF assist beam may not fire even if these conditions are met.
2. Changes the error indications that are displayed on the camera.
In previous firmware, if an error is detected, Err 99 is displayed on the camera in most cases. Firmware Version 1.0.5 or later further specifies the error indications as follows.
Indications on the Camera's LCD monitor (XX are numbers listed on the right.) No. Error details
10 Malfunctions related to files have been detected.
20 Malfunctions related to the mechanical have been detected.
30 Malfunctions related to the shutter have been detected.
40 Malfunctions related to the power source have been detected.
50 Malfunctions related to the electric control have been detected.
70 Malfunctions related to images have been detected.
80 Malfunctions related to the electric control or images have been detected.
If malfunctions in the camera are detected, "Err XX" will be displayed. A two-digit number that corresponds to the malfunctions detected by the camera will be displayed in the "XX" section of the error number. Other than the error numbers listed above, there are other numbers such as "01". In that case, provide appropriate handling and servicing by following the details displayed on the LCD monitor of the camera.
If an error code appears frequently, the camera is malfunctioning; therefore, note down the error number and contact our service center.
3. Addresses the vertical banding noise phenomenon
If the recording format is set to sRAW1, vertical banding noise may become visible depending on the camera settings, subject, and background.This phenomenon is addressed by this firmware.
Notes:
When updating to Firmware Version 1.0.6, please also update the Digital Photo Professional, Picture Style Editor, ZoomBrowser EX, and ImageBrowser software to the following versions or later.For details, please refer to the Firmware Q&A section.
Digital Photo Professional : Version 3.5.2 (Windows/Macintosh)
Picture Style Editor : Version 1.4.2 (Windows/Macintosh)
ZoomBrowser EX : Version 6.2.1c (Windows)
ImageBrowser : Version 6.2.1c (Macintosh)

(Previous) Version 1.0.3 improvements:

1. Corrects a phenomenon in which an image becomes overexposed when C.Fn.II-3 Highlight tone priority is set to "1" together with other camera settings. (This correction has already been incorporated in the Version 1.0.2 and later firmware.)
2. Corrects a rare phenomenon in which "busy" blinks on the camera's display panel and the shutter cannot be released due to the timing of battery installation.
3. Corrects a rare phenomenon in which "Err 99" appears on the camera's display panel and LCD monitor and the shutter cannot be released due to the timing of pressing the shutter button.

Announcements